Voices in yards or metres

TomTom Model(s)
Live XL IQ Routes
This may seem like an embarrassingly obvious question but I can't find an answer in the TomTom documentation, or support pages, or these forums, and I sent a question to TomTom support a week ago and have no answer....

What is the difference between a voice listed as (UK Yards) and one listed as say (EU metres)? I was looking at buying the Brian Blessed Voice but the webstore lists only (UK Yards) whereas the Home application (which doesn't accept vouchers) has I think 4 different permutations for the same voice.

Surely Tomtom don't charge for a whole new voice package just to differentiate two words (yards/metres, and miles/kilometres)??

So according to TomTom UK support guy that I spoke to, if you have a "metric voice" it will ignore an imperial setting on your device, and vice versa.:eek:

So unlike the inbuilt voices on the unit which handle both systems, you MUST pay for separate voices to handle them either because the voice add-ons are really poorly designed or they're trying to screw extra money out of customers.::mad:

There was no explanation as to why there were separate UK and North American versions of the imperial voice. :eek:

I bought BrianBlessed (UK Yards). It says "metres" here in France, so the guy at TomTom support was talking nonsense. Apart from my increasing doubts as to how much of their products have technical documentation, I wonder why they're marketing at least three different versions of this voice, supposedly based on location and measurement units.

Ask a Question