XXXL 540 RXxxxxxx

Oh wow. Wasn't asking for the entire actual content of your device, just the list of the content, hence the DIR /S recommendation. Still, I'll have a look - once it downloads!
I added screen shots to the forum each time did not see them only the main image of main post.

Yes the complete files on the unit.

Interesting. The dates on some of these files are illuminating, as is the presence and content of the install.bif file.
This device was recently updated - on 2/14/2024 - as you noted. The ttsystem file shows a 2/14/2024 date. That's the device's operating system (firmware). The release.nfo file shows us what was most recently loaded to this device - which is v 9.541 firmware.

The install.bif file doesn't contain all of the data one might expect, primarily because the device has never completed the boot cycle, and hence has never fully gathered the inventory of what's on the device, and without that information, hasn't fully populated the *.bif file that should (eventually) be called ttgo.bif.

The absence of the mapsettings.cfg file is, again, VERY odd. The system will recreate this by itself (if it can boot) if it is missing, and should have always been there. Firmware updates don't delete these files.

Need to think on this for a while - and get back to the original problem. Wish we had the info on what was on the device prior to the update.

Oh wow. Wasn't asking for the entire actual content of your device, just the list of the content, hence the DIR /S recommendation. Still, I'll have a look - once it downloads!
Didn't think about any old data, just figured it needed a update.

Last edited:
You have 9.541 code, and we dare not back up from that since if we were to, for example, attempt to load an old code version such as 9.061 (the last full one I have here for the xxl2009 TTS units), there would most likely be what we'll call a 'bootloader mismatch' (the underlying OS code wouldn't match the navigation firmware).

I'm going to try something totally weird here.
IF the issue has to do with the mapsettings.cfg file (and I'm betting that's not all of the issue here), adding one to your United_States map folder might get it out of the loop.

I'm going to zip up a mapsettings.cfg file from one of my older units that is also running your 9.541 code. Please unzip it into your United_States map folder and see what happens. Understand that the content that results (settings, favorites, whatever) will be my old data, and you'll need to get rid of all of that - if it boots.

If not, I'm out of ideas on this one.

Attachments

• mapsettings.zip
    837 bytes · Views: 2
You have 9.541 code, and we dare not back up from that since if we were to, for example, attempt to load an old code version such as 9.061 (the last full one I have here for the xxl2009 TTS units), there would most likely be what we'll call a 'bootloader mismatch' (the underlying OS code wouldn't match the navigation firmware).

I'm going to try something totally weird here.
IF the issue has to do with the mapsettings.cfg file (and I'm betting that's not all of the issue here), adding one to your United_States map folder might get it out of the loop.

I'm going to zip up a mapsettings.cfg file from one of my older units that is also running your 9.541 code. Please unzip it into your United_States map folder and see what happens. Understand that the content that results (settings, favorites, whatever) will be my old data, and you'll need to get rid of all of that - if it boots.

If not, I'm out of ideas on this one.

Tried and did not work still in a boot loop.
What about format the whole drive. Wipe it clean. then start over?
is there a place to download the complete files?

Tried and did not work still in a boot loop.
What about format the whole drive. Wipe it clean. then start over?
is there a place to download the complete files?
Do NOT format the device without a FULL backup copy of your map files! You can't retrieve those from TomTom the way you can on the newer devices. A format without that backup will render the device useless.

Do a FULL backup of your device per our instructions, then be sure to copy back the maps and UnitedStates folders after the firmware is reloaded by TomTom Home.

Our preferred instructions do NOT include using Home for a backup, though you may do so in addition to our instructions if you like: https://www.tomtomforums.com/thread...-to-the-computer-and-how-to-restore-it.17864/

Ask a Question