XXL540TM screen problem

Hi All,
I have called Tomttom support twice and talked for >1.5hours both times with no resolution.

I have a XXL 540TM which has a ghost inside :)
It will choose right lower corner and activate it while driving around and then choose the "Clear" button no matter if I press done or not, then it will ask "Yes/No" and choose Yes and clear the map.

I have a video of this to demonstrate.
Tomtom XXL 540 - YouTube

Earlier this behavior was activated by shaking the GPS and now happens anytime random.

Steps taken to resolve
1. Update maps
2. Delete Application and reinstall via Tomtom Home.
3. Clean screen with thick paper and plastic.
4. Clean screen with alcohol.

How do I RMA my GPS?
Much thanks!

It probably caught something nasty out there on E. Colfax :lol:

Seriously - you may be one of the first to report a problem that more typically occurs in the upper right corner of 630/730 models. Your issue appears to be down at the bottom center.

I noted that while shaking the unit, your thumb was lower center on the bezel. While holding the unit still, what happens if you press around the lower middle of the bezel (from both bottom and front) on your unit without touching the screen? Can you get similar results?

The only useful suggestion you received from TT was cleaning around the bezel with a business card or whatever. Try that again, especially at the bottom. There's some possibility you still have some gunk down between the bezel and the screen.

Whatever it is, it's hardware related. Is your 540 still under warranty?

in fact I was parked right outside "Hooked on Colfax" :)

While the GPS is going loco, touching it anywhere has really no response. If I hit the "Done" button, it lights up but still selects the "Clear" as its choice.

Pressing the bezel either does not do anything!

It still is under warranty. Is there a different department or person to talk to about RMA at Tomtom?

Nope. A call to customer support for a warranty RMA is advised at this point. Use the same number (866 486 6866), remind them that you have an open ticket (give them the number if you have it) and advise that you are requesting a return.

You don't happen to have a screen protector on it, do you?

If so, remove it. As they dry out they start putting pressure on the screen at various places.

Never used a screen protector.

I have a weird question, are all CS folks for Tomtom from South America? They have a hard time understanding me.

Never used a screen protector.

I have a weird question, are all CS folks for Tomtom from South America? They have a hard time understanding me.
Sadly, TT outsourced their CS phone support earlier this year. I believe you're hearing voices from Mexico now. Not sure which are typically harder to understand -- those or the ones from Bangalore. I think my ear is better tuned to Mexico, though.

Hey - they've got 24 points. That's a record for the year.

Bogus penalty at 2:36 sorta finishes that one. Defense looked like they would get the ball back until then.

Hey - they've got 24 points. That's a record for the year.

Bogus penalty at 2:36 sorta finishes that one. Defense looked like they would get the ball back until then.

canderson you've got me really baffled on this one. I've read the thread 3 times and can't see what connection your comments have with the topic here . . . did I miss something? :confused::help:

alfie,

my original post that i deleted later said,

"Home game. Perfect weather. Tim Tebow. Still suck !"

Later when they went from 10 to 24 I deleted that post.
But I guess it still stands given they lost...

Called again today, got someone sensible. Agreed for RMA, found receipt, uploaded, called again.

Will send out RMA tomorrow, lets see how that goes. Will keep you posted.

Will send out RMA tomorrow, lets see how that goes. Will keep you posted.
Good deal. Yes, let us know how it works out.

Ah - beware of using your old email login for Home with the new unit. Either have C.S. transfer the address to your new serial number, or set up a dummy email address for the new unit for login purposes. Don't know what level your previous map was, but you want to be sure you're at least to that level before claiming satisfaction. Don't know if you have a subscription for your unit or not.

I do have the TM version with "lifetime" maps. Will call CS to have new GPS unit matched with the email address.
This reminds me, I might need to find the lifetime maps guarantee serial number from last year.
Or will the new unit come with a new serial?

I do have the TM version with "lifetime" maps. Will call CS to have new GPS unit matched with the email address.
This reminds me, I might need to find the lifetime maps guarantee serial number from last year.
Or will the new unit come with a new serial?
Never got a refurb back on a unit with LM, so can't say how that works out. However, since you've already got an email established along with the LM on the old one, it MAY (never say WILL with these guys) work out best to just have them associate your previous sub and email with your new serial number.

got a refurb unit back, a 540S.
hooked it up to the computer and the software asked to de-activate the old unit and replace with new one.

backed up to HDD using copy-paste and updated maps and application.

hooked up the traffic-power supply and that feature worked also.

thanks once again!

Ask a Question