XXL540 WTE Map updates

ALS

TomTom Model(s)
930GO
I am considering purchasing a XXL 540 WTE. The demo unit I have seen has the 8.551v EU maps which are smaller than the 8.60 v. that would be downloaded (I understand) if I were to update right now however 8.65v is due out soon so would wait for that---also assume it is likely to be larger. The 4 GB memory is not large enough to hold these more recent maps so am assuming HOME would force a download of zones. Does anyone have experience using EU zones? How do they work? Trouble free? Must you download new zones using HOME when you want to switch--if so, I am hooped as I will be in the Balkans where I would have to use wireless if I have internet at all!
Would offloading Can, USA, Mex maps to computer to create space before updating EU be a worthwhile option to consider?
Any help will be appreciated.
Art

You will need to download each Zone separately, but only once so long as you have access to your Home database. After the download a copy of the map stays in Home's Download sub-folder even after it has been transferred into the device and so it can be transferred to the device again and again off-line. But IMO a better approach when in Europe would be simply to delete the North American map from the device and then install the single entire European map which does fit in the 4GB device. If you already downloaded the v860 North American map during an update then you will already have a copy in the Home database ready to return to the device after your European trip. But if you received your device with the latest map already installed then transfer a backup copy into the Home database before deleting it from the device. First rule of tear-free TomTom'ing: make a backup of your entire device using Windows Explorer before making any "exciting" changes, especially ones you have not tried before. BTW I keep my Home database and my backup images on a separate USB portable drive and then I maintain a backup of that main Home database drive on a second drive.

Enjoy the Balkans.

Tony

Thanks Tony, this is very helpful. To avoid messing around in Europe I think I will remove the NA maps here before I go. I will be purchasing locally but there will only be a 14 day return so I want everything checked out and set up before I go---actually driving from France right thru to Turkey and back to Germany so need to have everything functioning properly. Have a GO930 with all the right maps (last summers version) but the battery is failing so hence the reason for getting the 540WTE.
Just to be sure I have the procedure here is step by step what I plan:
1 Backup complete unit as received using Explorer. Keep two copies---one on laptop and another on flash drive
2 Update NA maps(this will leave a copy in Home). Backup complete unit using Explorer--keep two copies
3 Delete NA from unit.
4 Update EU to 8.65 Backup in Home and also do complete backup of unit keeping one copy one laptop another on a flash drive.
Hope I got it right.

You could forget the Home backups....

Just MOVE the entire "North America" folder somewhere safe on your P.C. (make another copy if you wish).

Then buy and download the Europe map (using Home).
Then back up everything by copy and paste in /Windows Explorer.

Once you've done that, you can swap between the maps by simple copy and paste of the entire map folders. Home isn't required for any of that..

Ask a Question