Brightness of XXL540

DGH

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom one 3rd and XXL540M
I have notice the last few times using my XXL540M that the brightness isn't what it use to be. I looked at the setting and turned it up to 100% and still doesn't look as bright as it used to be. I know Tomtom sold many of these units and just wondering if anybody else is starting to see this.

I have notice the last few times using my XXL540M that the brightness isn't what it use to be. I looked at the setting and turned it up to 100% and still doesn't look as bright as it used to be. I know Tomtom sold many of these units and just wondering if anybody else is starting to see this.
I have had no problems with the screen brightness of my XXL540, but that is no guarantee that others do not.

I also do not remember hearing of anyone else having such a problem, which I would consider a more reliable indication.

- Tom -

Is the battery fully charged on the unit?

Yes, Battery fully charged still look dim to what it use to. I have looked at it with 12 volts applied from the car to the GPS, running GPS on the battery and the display doesn't change brightness. I'm thinking it might be the battery needing to be replaced dragging down the voltage going to the unit.

I have had no problems with the screen brightness of my XXL540, but that is no guarantee that others do not.

I also do not remember hearing of anyone else having such a problem, which I would consider a more reliable indication.

- Tom -

Thanks, its not dim enough that I can't use it but I do notice the difference.

Is there a battery saving option on that model to dim screen between instructions? If so, is it checked?

I have looked at it with 12 volts applied from the car to the GPS.....

Hope not! That would fry it immediately!
The cigar lighter plug is actually a power supply that converts the car 12V down to 5V.
(That's probably of no interest to most people, but it's vital to know if you are thinking of doing a permanent installation of the power wiring)

Andy, wrong quote. Look at post #4 in this thread. It was not I that referenced 12 volts.

Sorry mate... finger trouble trying to use a very small mobile phone!

I have looked at it with 12 volts applied from the car to the GPS.....

Hope not! That would fry it immediately!
The cigar lighter plug is actually a power supply that converts the car 12V down to 5V.
(That's probably of no interest to most people, but it's vital to know if you are thinking of doing a permanent installation of the power wiring)

I did apply 12 Volts to the GPS using the power plug and cable that came with the GPS. You are correct that plug has a 5 volt regulated supply built into it. I did not apply 5 volts to it, I applied 12 volts like what I wrote.

No trouble so long as the regulator is there between. We've had a few folks attempt to hardwire their units to the vehicle so as to avoid use of the cig adapter socket, resulting in the supply of the full 12V to the unit. They don't last more than a few milliseconds when that happens!

Ask a Question