XXL540 offer in Oz

TomTom Model(s)
Go930 (NA, NZ, West Europe and OZ Maps) XXL540(Oz Map)
Hi all,

There is a $150 offer on thru Dick Smith (an electronics retailer in Oz for those elsewhere) which has a 12 map upgrade offer attached. Given that I've come to the end of a 6 for the cost of 4 upgrade period the cost is about what three years of map upgrades would cost at the "special discount for you!!!" offer on the 930 I'm currently using, presuming that carries across two years afterr the next 12 month cycle.

So I bought one. Caution: get all the details about how you access the "offer" from the store - there is no information in the box, so I had to make a phone call back to the store.

BUT - at the moment I can't get past the password splash screen at the upgrade site. It's one of those really, Really, REALLY irritating "w'ell send you a link and password in an e-mail" click on the link then you enter the password to get to a screen which, presumably, asks for details about the purchase, model and serial number etc, etc, etc.

I've got a query in to Tom Tom to try to straighten things out and perhaps get the site working properly. I'll keep you informed about feedback. I'm rather expecting to have to make a phone call in due course.

I'm also wondering if it might have something to do with the fact that my first action was to grab an image of the device contents (IE of course) and then register the device thru TT home - we'll see.

Cheers

Suggestion..........

If CS in Oz is anything like that in North America, then phone calls are far more effective than email

The number is: 1300 135 604

Hi all,

I didn't need to make a call, but thus far there has been no response from TT OZ Customer Service - What a surprise.

Finally accessed the offer by using my ISP e-mail address (gmail used previously) to get some information. Turned out to be a "Confirm e-mail address" message with a password attached. This accesses a page where you provide information about yourself and the type and serial number of the device together with an uploaded scan of your receipt!!

I'm wondering if the fact I have a Go930 already registered through the gmail address was the problem. I got as far as trying to access the info page with a password sent to me, but TT responded with an "unknown" password message.

So a fake e-mail address will not work for this!

Cheers

Good of you to let others know about the upgrade method. Where users have more than one device, we are often too quick to suggest a 'bogus' email address, I suppose. Most of the time, it will be used for nothing more than advertising for map upgrades, not the upgrades themselves! Because of the odd possibility of actually receiving something useful from them, I have always created separate 'real' email addresses with my ISP for each unit. I'm allowed 5 mail accounts with Comcast, for example.

You know the google trick, don't you?

(e-mail address removed), (e-mail address removed), (e-mail address removed) , etc will ALL go to the (e-mail address removed) mailbox.

Don't use gmail, so wasn't aware of that one, no. Sure eats up a lot of possible names in a hurry, though. Guess that's why you see addresses like (e-mail address removed) so often <g>.

Update,

Got a useless email response from Tom Tom support after 12 days:rolleyes: which reiterated the process. My initial problem was that after entering the details provided by TT in a reply the process froze, and continued to do so for three days across New Years.

But for anyone trying to access the map offer the TT message quite bluntly told me that "it is not possible for us to activate the offer on your behalf". So if you can't get the offer activated via the portal then I guess you miss out.

:rant:I wonder if TT has any idea about how P*ssed Off many users are with their very bad Customer Service. They have to be surely? In this instance:
1. No information in the box about or how to acccess the offer ( the item is unique to(?) or useless outside of Oz because it is loaded with the Oz map only.
2. The web portal freezes when attempting to activate the offer.
3. 12 days to generate a response
4. The response is of little use
5. Oz CS can't help you if things go awry.

Wonder how I'll go updating my NA map on the 930:eek:

Cheers

GO930 (and XXL540) User

I'm curious about this 'web portal'. What is the URL for it? Until you arrived here, we'd never been aware of this offer, and I'm curious to see where the URL leads. I can't get over the feeling that this is some kind of special promo between DS and TomTom that is quite unique in the subscription process.

I'm curious about this 'web portal'. What is the URL for it? Until you arrived here, we'd never been aware of this offer, and I'm curious to see where the URL leads. I can't get over the feeling that this is some kind of special promo between DS and TomTom that is quite unique in the subscription process.

Hmmm,

"Until you arrived here"!

You will find the entrance to the portal here:

http://tomtom12bonusmaps.campaign.net.au/

But the page may not load if it detects that you are outside of Oz based on your URL. If it loads you can send them the asked for details and they should respond with an e-mail that provides a validation link and a password to enter to go further with the registration.

If you load the general TT site from Canada (or the USA) (http://tomtom.com) and relocate yourself via the "Please select your country or region" in blue about 2/3 way down on right hand side, and select Australia from among the maps when the splash page loads a page should load showing the "campaign" offer. Runs until 31/01/2012 and appears to be available from any retailer who sells TTs from among the selected products.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Go930user

In all of this, I am assuming it is TomTom who contracted for the web site we'll get to in a moment, not Dick Smith.

No need for me to load that url, just needed to see what it was - and it was as I suspected ... NOT a link to TomTom. The entity that controls the site you visited has to refer a business transaction to TomTom in order that TomTom will know anything about it. So I can see how CS was unhelpful in straightening this out.

campaign.net.au peddles everything from air conditioners to chopping boards and knife sets to vacuum cleaners. Evidently, TomTom customer support isn't familiar with this outfit (left hand and right hand and all of that), and may not be aware that it was hired by tomtom to work this promotional deal. It appears that the following company operates the campaign.net.au site: http://www.consortiumcentre.net.au/

They have not just one but two offices where you can call to complain about their web design and email response system, and ask how you can take advantage of the offer. One is in Sidney +61 (0)2 8737 6900 and one is in Melbourne +61 (0)3 9445 0751. They probably will not be happy to hear from you as an end user of the service, but since it's their job to keep things running smoothly for both you and TomTom, why not light a fire under them?

I
No need for me to load that url, just needed to see what it was - and it was as I suspected ... NOT a link to TomTom. The entity that controls the site you visited has to refer a business transaction to TomTom in order that TomTom will know anything about it. So I can see how CS was unhelpful in straightening this out.

campaign.net.au peddles everything from air conditioners to chopping boards.....

Interesting though that the terms and conditions list TomTom themselves as the promoter:
26. The Promoter is TomTom Sales B.V - Australian Branch - ABN 14 117 652 712 Suite 1, Level 5, 3 Richardson Place, North Ryde, NSW 2113.
Plus TomTom have their copyright notice at the bottom and their logo at the top (like us!)

Hi,

So far as I remember I used the "contact us about problems with this page" button on the initial page after loading the "...12maps..." address, so I assume this went to the subcontractor, who forwarded it to TT since that's who I got a response from - might account for the 12 day delay as well.

But as for me "lighting a fire" I'll not waste my time. This is Australia, the land of absolutely abysmal customer service in most circumstances.

In any event, IMV, it's TT who should be proving the web method adopted by THEIR subcontractor, and working out the bugs before the promotion runs, so that the customer sees a painless process when accessing the offer.

On a brighter note, I upgraded my NA map to ver 880 and the process was a smooth as silk - so cudos to TT for that. Now if they could only eliminate VAT charges for customers outside of the EEC, that would work in their favour. Would make the cost of maps for customers outside the EEC less expensive and would probably increase their sales of these items. 19% VAT charged is significant.

Cheers

Go930user

@Andy
I'm not suggesting that TomTom wasn't behind the promotion, but they weren't hosting the system that was providing it. They had contracted the job to another company, and if I understand how this outfit works, the link and functionality issues on the web page fall back to the contactor. TomTom should of course be made aware of the problem the OP reports since they rely on this service, but can only require that the subcontractor sort it out. I do not believe that TomTom has direct access to the site's workings - rather, they receive the output from the site built by the contractor.

Ask a Question