XXL 540S Refurbished

I bought a XXL540S refurb unit at Compusa today. Am I able to get an upgrade to the latest map on this? I synched to Home but used my macbook pro, so of course I didnt know and it deleted the preinstalled map and when I tried to install the new US/Canada/Mexico map, it said there was not enough room...sorry. I got a kick out of the apology so I freaked out and went back to Compusa and got it replaced for another unit. SO I havent dared to plug this in my mac via usb. I will use one of my PCs next time.

But I read somewhere that on a refurb unit you can't get the free latest one-time map deal? Is that true?

I bought a XXL540S refurb unit at Compusa today. Am I able to get an upgrade to the latest map on this? I synched to Home but used my macbook pro, so of course I didnt know and it deleted the preinstalled map and when I tried to install the new US/Canada/Mexico map, it said there was not enough room...
The bright ones at Apple think it's cool to keep the trash can for external drives locally on those drives - that includes thumb drives and units like your TomTom. You'll have to empty the trash on your TomTom before anything will fit again ... well, you would, but you've got a new unit. Just be aware of it for the future as OSx can and will bite you that way. If you stick with the PC you said you might use instead, this won't be an issue.

WAIT a few days. Lurk here. The new maps for your unit (865) should be appearing within the next two weeks. At that time go ahead and take advantage of your "Latest Map Guarantee" which is available for 30 days after you first connect your unit.

Another warning. You've probably already registered an email address for the first unit since you had it connected to Home. You must either dream up a new (even bogus) email address for your 2nd unit, or call TomTom and have them change that account to your 2nd unit. Home and TT's servers get all whacked by trying to run more than one unit serial number against one email address.

But I read somewhere that on a refurb unit you can't get the free latest one-time map deal? Is that true?
Seems that most people are now able to update the map on a refurb without a hitch (assuming they time it right). However, in certain cases, it MAY take a phone call to Tech Support to get them to push the update to you. Again, WAIT about 2 weeks to hook it up or lurk here to see when 865 arrives - we expect it shortly. When you receive the 2nd unit, let us know what map version it is. To determine that, press the satellite bars on the lower right once, then press the "Version" box in the lower right of the next screen. This will show the current map version. It will look something like 860.3101 or similar.

AND BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING in the way of updating your new unit, we strongly recommend you back it up first. Instructions here for your PC: https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

Last edited:
Excellent forum! I'm happy I found you!
When you receive the 2nd unit, let us know what map version it is.
Map: 'USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P' v835.2419
How old is this map?

Another warning. You've probably already registered an email address for the first unit since you had it connected to Home. You must either dream up a new (even bogus) email address for your 2nd unit, or call TomTom and have them change that account to your 2nd unit.

I'll use my work email instead...will it matter that the name when you register is the same?

Which version of windows is most compatible with Home, XP or Vista?

Thanks again!

Excellent forum! I'm happy I found you!

Map: 'USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P' v835.2419
How old is this map?
Quite. That's about 6 map editions (1-1/2 years) ago.

I'll use my work email instead...will it matter that the name when you register is the same?

Which version of windows is most compatible with Home, XP or Vista?

Thanks again!
No problem with duplicate name, just be sure the email is different. All you really need it for is the registration. Mostly they'll just send you (late) notification of new maps, etc., at the registered address.

Home has had some strange interactions with 64 bit systems at times, so it would depend upon what Vista we're talking about. It runs fine on XP, and fine on MOST Vista installations without resorting to "compatibility mode". If you have a choice, XP offers just a slightly smaller opportunity for pain.

ok, so I'm ready to upgrade to the new free map today. Kind of nervous because of what happened with my last unit. So, here's the plan:

I first back up the unit, as per the instructions on this thread. I do not have home installed on this windows pc, so I just plug in the TT and when it says, "Connect to PC?" I tap yes?

Then after backing up, do I disconnect the TT and then download Home?

Do I install the updates first then attempt to install the map?

Which map do I install? It says recommended for your device "USA & Mexico 2GB" but under all maps I see "USA, Canada & Mexico" will that fit?

Thanks in advance for any advice, I just dont want to render my unit useless again.

I first back up the unit, as per the instructions on this thread. I do not have home installed on this windows pc, so I just plug in the TT and when it says, "Connect to PC?" I tap yes?

Yep, and then make the Explorer backup.

Then after backing up, do I disconnect the TT and then download Home?

Probably a good idea. Make sure you use the Hardware Device disconnect icon to do so.

Do I install the updates first then attempt to install the map?

Download and install Home. Connect your unit to the computer. Start Home and use the log in to create an account for your device. Use a different email address (doesn't even have to be real, just in the proper (e-mail address removed) format) to register the new unit.

Select 'update my device' and accept (if offered) ONLY an application update. If it is not offered, then go for the Latest Map Guarantee BUT click the 'more info link' Make sure the version offered is 865, NOT 860. If the latter, hold off a few days until the LMG servers get the 865 map for distribution.

If you are offered a new 865 map, take it and install. And then make a new Explorer, not Home, backup to a different folder than the one you used for the initial Explorer backup.

If you are offered a new 865 map, take it and install. And then make a new Explorer, not Home, backup to a different folder than the one you used for the initial Explorer backup.

Will the USA, Canada & Mexico fit? or should I just go for the recommended USA & Mexico?

Home is supposed to offer you the appropriate map for your unit. At 2 gigs storage, your unit should handle Mexico as well as US & Canada.

The only concern I have is that refurbished units in NA are not normally eligible for the LMG. But I do know some have gotten them.

In any event, the US_C_M map is 1.605 gigs in size according to TT's web site.

You guys rock

The backup and map upgrade worked flawlessly! I'm so happy to have run into this site! thanks!!!

btw, it does work on refurb units from compusa in texas

Ask a Question