XXL 540 - yes or no?

Hi,

I want to buy the XXL 540 navigation:

XXL 540*S World Traveler Edition - TomTom GPS sat nav

As I live in Czech Republic - Europe and now I am in the USA I want to buy something which has US maps as well as Europe maps and the lifetime free updates are great option for me.
What I am concerned about since I have read many forums and reviews - does this model have memory card slot? I think it is not enough the internal memory since many updates will be performed.

Also when I want to buy this device on Amazon or Buy.com, there is no statement about the Europe maps. Onlu US, Mexico:

Buy.com - TOMTOM XXL 540-S Automobile Portable Navigator

Any help is really appreciated. Or if you think I should buy something else what will work in the USA and then in Europe. I don't care about buying the Europe map system then.

Thanks a lot!

I have the same 540 World Traveller model. There is no expansion slot on it.

Being in Canada, I got the updated 850 USA_Canada_Mexico map. But for Europe, not all zones would fit on the unit at the same time. So, I selected a zone where we would likely do most of our travelling.

In other words, for your situation, you may need to select only the European zone for which you do most of your travel.

But another possible solution is to copy the USA_Canada map to your computer which will leave enough room to probably get all four European zoned maps to the unit. Once installed, move most (if not all) zones to the computer, copy back the USA_Canada map and get the updated map for it.

Then switch the process when you are back in Europe, copying the zone or zones you need after moving the USA_Canada map to the computer.

I'd suggest doing the copying using Explorer, not Home.

Be careful about what 540 models are being listed at what sites. The World Traveller model is the ONLY 540 model with 4 gigs of storage, all the other 540 models have 2 gigs and do not come with any European maps. You'd have to purchase them separately.

And you'd still be faced with:
1. Moving the USA_Canada_Mexico map to your computer AND
2. You still won't have enough room all the European zones.

That 540-S ad you linked to seems to have incorrect information when (twice) it does not mention European maps.

So either it is NOT a WTE model but just a 540-S model or it IS a WTE model but is incorrect about not having European maps installed.

I would seek clarification before purchasing that model from the site.

Last edited:
Thanks for answer and feedback.

Well, for most of the time, it will be used in Europe and the USA will be used only for 3 weeks and then I don't know when I will get back to the USA, so I can move those maps out of the GPS device. Will I be then eligible for the free updates of them after 2 years of inactivity or being on my PC?

I haven't found any model with WTE on the web. I have to buy it from TomTom site I guess.

Or do you think I should buy another device? Like some device from which I will move the USA maps to my PC and then use European ones in Europe? Do they sell lifetime plans for maps separately?

Many thanks

If you can, I'd try to find a 930 in Europe somewhere. Comes with both Western_Europe and North_American maps and it has an expansion sdhc slot.

The model isn't being produced anymore but there are some around if you hunt for them.

Thanks Tom K. This one looks exactly the same as on TomTom site. I will go with this one I think unless I will find other solution. I have contacted TomTom support, but they are not responding me.

And just another question - how to save the free space? Can I delete some voices? I think I need only one. Also some nonimportant points of interest in Mexico and Canada? Or is it not possible to do so?

You can delete extra voices using Home.

Some models allow for the deleting of built in poi items from a category but the space saving will be very little, if anything.

You can save a bit of space by dumping any files in the license folder without US_EN in the file name.

And what about their lifetime free map and traffic updates? Will it be covered really for my whole life or only for the life of theh product? Like if they will produce newer XXL device in 2 years the updates will be then charged?

As long as they have the product available, they provide it to you. Since they own the map provider, not that big of a concern.

As for traffic, as long as they deal with their traffic provider, they pass the info on to you.

That is cool. Have you heard about bad European maps in this model? I have searched this forum and found some bad user experiences with latest updates for Europe and since Europe will be the mostly used country I have to be sure. If I will move USA maps to my laptop will the European ones will have enough space for udpates?

Right now, I have the USA_Canada_Mexico and the Europe-West zone on my 540 WTE. If I need a different European zone, I go to Home's Manage my Device, Item's on Device, Maps, Europe-West and click on 'change zone'.

It then is supposed to move to the computer my existing zone and replace it with a different zone which is stored on the computer now.

The 540 with the Traffic option comes with a rds-tmc antenna built into the car charger. It is different from the previous rds-tmc usb antenna which indeed was only good in North America.

The combo charger/antenna does also work in Europe. Take my word for it. I used the antenna in Italy last month! :)

OK, I am taking your word :) The support told me, that the lifetime traffic will not work in Europe also.. I am scared.. I hope everything will work for me.

Just make sure the charger with the unit has a little grey 'egg' thingy on the end near where attached to the unit. That is the antenna.

dhn,

For the lifetime map updates, were you able to get them also for the European Maps as well. They told me that the lifetime map updates was only for USA_Canada_Mexico maps. I could not find anywhere listed on their website that says the lifetime maps was only for North America.

Also, good to know about the traffic for Europe. I plan on making my trip to Italy next year. I previously owned a Go 930, but I elected to go with the 540WTE as I didn't really need all the other features the Go930 had. I find more value in the lifetime maps.

Thanks
Vager

Not that I'm aware. Should come with the unit **if** you got the Lifetime traffic option.

Ask a Question