XXL 540-TM Backup and Dash Mount Question

TomTom Model(s)
GO 2535 TM
I just got my new XXL 540-TM set up. Upon taking it out the the box last night I did a Windows Explorer backup as my first step. Today I ran the updates on the unit. Had no trouble registering for free map updates but I did setup a new account as part of the process. Updated the map after that and got it all up to date. Added my color scheme of black and orange. Did another Windows Explorer backup so now I have that as well. Know I'm getting off to a good start with this unit!

I have seen the threads on here recommending users to back up the unit when major updates are done - particularly ones that involve the maps. My understanding is that I should keep my original backup period but have a question about backups done after that. Once I go through a few more map updates/backups should I delete the backups done between the original backup and the most recent one? I'm thinking best practice would be to keep the original backup and the two most recent ones. There is no need to keep every single backup, correct?

While this XXL 540-TM is new to me I'm not new to GPS's - started with a Garmin StreetPilot 2720, briefly tried a Navigon 2100, went to TomTom XL 340-S which impressed me then upgraded to the XXL 540-S soon after as I liked the larger screen size. Sold the 340-S and 540-S. Decided to get the XXL 540-TM since it has free traffic/map updates since I go through the Chicago area often enough to make use of the traffic feature. As for the maps, just like having up to date maps.

Had the TomTom model 9UUB.052.00 Dashboard Mount which worked well with the 340-S but didn't allow full movement with the slightly larger 540-S. Now using an Arkon model TTEP112 TomTom EasyPort Friction Dash Mount which has a gooseneck on it which works well with the 540-TM although it sits a little high above the base - wish it was a little lower. Funny thing is both of these dash mounts use the exact same base - just that the Arkon's gooseneck gives it the edge by far for use with a 540/550-series. Just curious - has anyone here found other good dashboard beanbag type mounts that work well with the 540/550-series?

I like the TomTom's and the two things I miss most about the StreetPilot 2720 is the ability to control the zoom setting and how it would identify bodies of water. Minor points really but wish TomTom would add these features. Did consider a XXL 550-TM briefly but didn't like what I heard about the menu on those as I like having many choices as possible to customize my GPS.

And yes, I listed my TomTom model in my profile and signature! :)

Welcome to TTF!

The idea of a backup, of course, is that anything goes wrong with a map update or application update, well you have something to fall back on. And, unfortunately, sometimes there are issues......

Keeping the last combination of working map and working application is the right idea. New app releases do not match the timing of new map releases so if an app were released tomorrow, let's say, make that full Explorer backup first and then another once you find the new combo of app with map works.

When a new map is released down the road, again make a full backup first (you may have made mapshare updates and/or custom poi category downloads since the last map backup, you see), so you want the backup of the current 'freshest' map before the new map download

And so on...........;)

Thanks for the welcome and info dhn!

So I should just keep the most recent backup that is verified to work then and I'm covered? And by applications that means MapShare corrections and other similar TomTom updates done in HOME, correct? Am all clear on backing up current map right before performing a map update.

No, the application is the operating system as in version 9.053 or whatever you are on. The application is represented by the loose files in the root of the unit not in any folder.

You can always download mapshares at any time.

Yeah, before a map update, make the Explorer backup.

Ask a Question