XL-S Confused Directions

TomTom Model(s)
One XL-S
I have had the same problem, at the same place, TWICE, but a week apart.

Going South through HEAVY Houston traffic on US-59. Want, and have programed, to go South towards Victoria. As I aproach an area where three or four different roads intersect, my unit tells me to take hwy 59 NORTH. In the distance I can see a highway marker for hwy 59 South, marked Victoria.

The first time, I did not see the signs in the distance due to rush hour traffic, I blindly follow the directions. What a mistake. Took about a half hour to get turned around the correct way.

What is going on? Why am I being prompted to go the wrong way?

Thanks...

do you have the latest map version? are you taking mapshare corrections? these could both contribute to the routing being incorrect.

Hmmm. I've had some similar "confusion" on freeway interchanges here in Houston. Mine was for I-10 at 610. Near as I could figure out, the text-to-speech was transliterating the road name that it has in its data base (i.e., 610 West); and I confused it with a direction, "westbound". It also seemed to get the exit on the wrong side of the freeway ("exit left", instead of to the right). I'm keeping an ear out for this, now.

Does your unit have TTS? In your case, it might have said "59 North", which is one of the names of the highway you were on, and you figured it meant "U.S. 59 Northbound". It seems to me that my unit says "go north" or "northbound" most of the time, so I'm going to see if this is the case.

For those that don't live here, we have 610 East and West that go north-south, 610 North and South that go east-west, N and S Braeswood ditto, 59 North that goes south as well as north, 45 North and South ditto, and many others. An exit sign might say "East 610 SOUTH"! Which means "come this way to go eastbound on the freeway named 610 South". Or maybe it's the other way around. :confused: :)

Going South through HEAVY Houston traffic on US-59. Want, and have programed, to go South towards Victoria. As I aproach an area where three or four different roads intersect, my unit tells me to take hwy 59 NORTH. In the distance I can see a highway marker for hwy 59 South, marked Victoria.

I used the Prepare Route function on my TT One XL-S to plan routes from a point on 59 SB on north side of Houston to Victoria....The selected route seemed to correctly stay on 59 SB the whole way....I wonder if you have some portion of a route accidentally blocked.

I used the Prepare Route function on my TT One XL-S to plan routes from a point on 59 SB on north side of Houston to Victoria....The selected route seemed to correctly stay on 59 SB the whole way....I wonder if you have some portion of a route accidentally blocked.

I did the same thing on my One 130s. Absolutely no problems. it just waltzed right past I-45 and 288 without any of the problems that you've run into. Maybe old maps?

Ask a Question