XL Map View Help Please

I have a xl30tm and like it very much. Best Buy $130 on fathers day. The one fault I have is the map direction on the large map view i think it is the 3d view. As I drive the map changes orientation as I drive. As I head south the car icon points down, as I head North the car Icon points up. Is there any way to set it like the 2d view were the car is always pointing up and the map changes direction not the car?
Thank you for any help with this.

I have a xl30tm and like it very much. Best Buy $130 on fathers day. The one fault I have is the map direction on the large map view i think it is the 3d view. As I drive the map changes orientation as I drive. As I head south the car icon points down, as I head North the car Icon points up. Is there any way to set it like the 2d view were the car is always pointing up and the map changes direction not the car?
Hi MrBones,

I'm not familiar with that exact model of TomTom, but when I select 'Turn on 2D display' it offers me 3 choices:

• 3D map
  • 2D map - travel direction at the top ◄
  • 2D map - north at the top
You want the second choice and might have selected the last choice instead.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Yours may be a model where the only 2D option is always point North. If you don't have the 3rd option as Rick_F described in his post, then I'm afraid there is nothing you can do.

Yours may be a model where the only 2D option is always point North. If you don't have the 3rd option as Rick_F described in his post, then I'm afraid there is nothing you can do.

If that is the case than my new xxl 550 goes back to Amazon since I did not see a 3rd option and it is unacceptable to me that the is orientating itself to north. I took a wrong turn, on the highway, by mistake, because I was going south and the display showed me going down and the turn showed on the display to the right, but it was upside down and I should have turned left, which the unit said I should but I looked at the display and turned at what I saw and not at what I was told.

Darn, I guess I'll be stuck with the stupid nuvi 1300 that dims when plugged into the charger.:mad:

That means that the problem is only software which leads to the question of why they would make such a change in the newer units. I'd like to know what goes on in the boardrooms where these 'genius' decisions are made. It's not the only thing that bugged me on my test drive of the unit today but it is the deal-breaker.

After writing the above I took the unit for a spin, just to see what can be done. While driving I pressed the 2d/3d button and it changed from the view where north is always on top to a view where it shows the direction on top, just like I wanted it to do and just like the poster in the first post wants. I think it is in the 3d mode, where you see the car from behind, where it is as I want it. I hope it is the same on the XL units.

The unit is not getting returned to Amazon tomorrow, I guess.:eek:

The 3d view on all Tomtoms shows the driving direction forward.

The 2d view is "north up" only on the 350, 550 and certain 335 models. All other (earlier) Tomtoms offer the choice of "2d-north up" and "2d-direction up"

Ask a Question