xl 340s voice problem

i have a xl340s and the synthetic voice dont pronounce right. it was working fine before. i removed voice to make space for a new map but since then the cumputer voice dont pronounce right. got any fix for that
thanks

What exactly is not getting pronounced properly & is it happening with all computer voices you select?

Mine is not perfect either. It pronounces Angeles as Anheles, and some other names that I can not recognize. I also have some voice files deleted but not sure if it was working right before that or not but I doubt.

There is nothing wrong with your unit. The software needs to be fixed. I have several of the XL340S's and they all have the same mispronunciations. I opened a support ticket reporting several mispronunciations and after several go rounds with support (ie: load xyz update, delete so and so files, reload app,etc.) they wanted to exchange my brand new unit for a refurb. I declined and told them to please forward the issue to their programmers to look at it as it is more cost effective than wasting money exchanging units.

Haha, in additon to Los Angeles, these also bug me: Sacramento pronounced "Sacremnha", San Diego pronounced "Son Tiego", Santa Ana is pronounced "sonta ahn ha", San Gabriel - is unintelligible.

That being said, have you noticed that in highways that have 3 digits as the road designation (ie: In Socal there are highways like 805, 101, 605, 405, etc.) that instead of saying "eight zero five" or "eight o five" it says "eight west five" or "one west one"? This is due to a programming error in a regex in the file roadnrEnglishUS.rex. I made the correction and posted below, it now correctly pronounces the highway names, as in "eight oh five". I reported this to Tomtom.

"(^|[ \t]+)US[ \-]*([0-9])([1-9][0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 \s US \2_\3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)US[ \-]*([0-9])0([0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 \s US \Nx \2 oh \Nx \3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)US[ \-]*([0-9][0-9]?)([^0-9])" = "\1 \s US \2 \3"
"(^|[ \t]+)HW[ \-]*([0-9])([1-9][0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 Highway \2_\3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)HW[ \-]*([0-9])0([0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 Highway \Nx \2 oh \Nx \3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)HW[ \-]*([0-9][0-9]?)([^0-9])" = "\1 Highway \2 \3"
"(^|[ \t]+)I[ \-]*([0-9])([1-9][0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 Interstate \2_\3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)I[ \-]*([0-9])0([0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 Interstate \Nx \2 oh \Nx \3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)I[ \-]*([0-9][0-9]?)([^0-9])" = "\1 Interstate \2 \3"

There is also lexigraphic file (roadnrEnglishUS.lex) that has info about pronunciations for localization for which I have requested documentation. The proper way would be to fix the speech engine instead, but that may never happen. I tried to mod this file but the unit never seemed to pick up the changes. Hopefully I will get some answers from Tomtom support.

T
That being said, have you noticed that in highways that have 3 digits as the road designation (ie: In Socal there are highways like 805, 101, 605, 405, etc.) that instead of saying "eight zero five" or "eight o five" it says "eight west five" or "one west one"? This is due to a programming error in a regex in the file roadnrEnglishUS.rex. I made the correction and posted below, it now correctly pronounces the highway names, as in "eight oh five". I reported this to Tomtom.

"(^|[ \t]+)US[ \-]*([0-9])([1-9][0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 \s US \2_\3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)US[ \-]*([0-9])0([0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 \s US \Nx \2 oh \Nx \3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)US[ \-]*([0-9][0-9]?)([^0-9])" = "\1 \s US \2 \3"
"(^|[ \t]+)HW[ \-]*([0-9])([1-9][0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 Highway \2_\3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)HW[ \-]*([0-9])0([0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 Highway \Nx \2 oh \Nx \3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)HW[ \-]*([0-9][0-9]?)([^0-9])" = "\1 Highway \2 \3"
"(^|[ \t]+)I[ \-]*([0-9])([1-9][0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 Interstate \2_\3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)I[ \-]*([0-9])0([0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 Interstate \Nx \2 oh \Nx \3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)I[ \-]*([0-9][0-9]?)([^0-9])" = "\1 Interstate \2 \3"

There is also lexigraphic file (roadnrEnglishUS.lex) that has info about pronunciations for localization for which I have requested documentation. The proper way would be to fix the speech engine instead, but that may never happen. I tried to mod this file but the unit never seemed to pick up the changes. Hopefully I will get some answers from Tomtom support.

I did something similar, though less elegant. I have also successfully modded the .Lex file in a text editor. I did notice that if you reload any american TTS voice, it'll overwrite your modified file. My unit has kept the changes I made (so far).

my tomtom is setup in french, but pronouciation problem is basicly the the sames, cant say you have arrived (in french ) correctly, what is stange is that every thing was working fine before i started to make space for a anothermap. only the synthetic voices are wrong, all of them. is their a relation with human voices and synthetis voices, like if you remove voices it affect the other ones

Not aware of any link.

Have you tried removing the computer voice (from device and computer) in manage my go, then readding it via "add voices" in HOME?

Also, you should have space for at least one french non-computer voice. The non-computer voices are really tiny so it shouldn't take up much space.

Sac-Cra-Meng-Craw

Mine is not perfect either. It pronounces Angeles as Anheles, and some other names that I can not recognize. I also have some voice files deleted but not sure if it was working right before that or not but I doubt.

Ditto, mine pronounces Los Angeles that way as well and Sacramento as Sac-Cra-Meng-Craw :)

Ask a Question