XL 340 TM software on a 730?

TomTom Model(s)
Go 730
I saw Staples had a TT XL 340 MT on sale with free lifetime maps and traffic. I was tempted but already have a GO 730. I read the 340 has no expansion slot for an SD disk, and there have been some map upgrade space issues. I'm wondering if a 340 was purchased, would it be possible to transfer its software to a 730? If so, the lifetime maps and traffic would be worth it.

The application for the 340 will not run on the 730. Not well, anyway. It's always possible to load an application for a model that it was not meant to run. However, the ramifications are unknown and it is even possible to brick the unit.

My personal opinion would be to try to keep the 730 going as long as possible. You should be able to buy an extended map subscription for the unit.

The 730 has features that newer models do not have (and may never have):
- sdhc card slot
-fm broadcast
-bluetooth
-mp3 player
fully functioning menu
-etc.

...would it be possible to transfer its software to a 730? If so, the lifetime maps and traffic would be worth it.
Even if the software were functioning, the lifetime maps and traffic cannot be transferred to another unit. TomTom knows which serial numbers are associated with their "TM" package, and your 730 would not be. Your unit's serial number would be reported back and found in "error".

Ask a Question