x50 & RDS & other questions

I am looking at buying a new GPS, I see that the x30T series can receive the traffic updates via the RDS-TMC receiver cable but have not been able to find out if the x40 or x50 ones can. I know that they have the LIVE service which is a subscription one but I only want to use the free service in the UK & Europe. I have visited a few dealers & rang some online ones & have been told everything from absolutely yes to definitely no.

Also is there any advantage/disadvantage to buying the 750-950 or the 730-930, I am not planning on visiting the US but tour Europe in our motorhome & the only thing I can see is the x50 covers Greece & a few other countries.

Ed

My 940 works fine with RDS-TMC, in fact it works with all three receivers (Mini-USB, round plug and built in to the mount) the 950 is a little more fickle and only seems to work with the mount equipped with the built in receiver.
As you drive a motorhome try a search on you tube for ''TT940 Navcore9" and that might be of interest - I can't direct link the video as I am using my phone to post ATM - Mike

See the information at the bottom of this link. It may help.

I do believe the x40 and x50 models can use just the antenna. If supermod Mikealder doesn't respond within 24 hours, pm him. He will know for sure. (he's UK based)

--------------------------------
Beat me to it, Mike! :)

Thanks for the replies & had a look at the video, what is Navcore9? Is it an add on, it looks a lot like the TT truck. I had looked at the truck version but it seemed expensive.

Had a look at a 950 in one store & couldn't see anywhere to plug in an external aerial except for the one socket at the bottom which I assume is for the power. Found the Active Dock Traffic RDS-TMC on the TT site & it seems like it replaces the cable for the use on the x30 models.

The Navcore you have seen running on the 940 in the video isn't really intended to be used on the device it was running on, but it does give an idea as to what can be done without paying out for the Work package.

As for the RDS-TMC receivers, the x40 and x50 devices are all supplied with a basic mount that only has a Mini USB socket, in order to connect the round plug receiver you need the accessory mount with the extra connections (Brodit style mount or the add on connected windscreen dock), alternatively there is the mount with the built in RDS-TMC receiver which is the best solution as it avoids spaghetti aerial wires all over the inside of the car.

x30 devices are still a very capable unit, if you don't want the associated running costs of a Live subscription there is very little point in paying for the x40/ x50 units. The x30 range can accept any of the RDS-TMC accessories as both the round socket and the mini USB port are supported directly on the device.

The 930 has 4GB of internal Flash memory and a gyro based system that can dead reckon through tunnels, the 730 and 530 don't have this ability. To be honest a 730T would probably be best suited to your needs although you cannot get it to work in the same way as the unit shown in the video, but the video is a hack running software not intended for the device - Mike

Hi Mike,
Thanks again for the info.

Looking at the prices I found a 750 for sale @ £219 & the 950 for £250 both have them listed with the 'Active Dock' I will give them a call to check it will give me the RDS function or if I need anything else. I can get the 930T for around £220, but it looks like the 930 doesn't have all the maps such as Greece where we are hoping to get to sometime in the next few years.

Still confused

I am almost decided to buy the 750 but.............
I've been trying to find out what I think is a simple question, I have asked the TomTom support & a few dealers but I am still not getting anywhere.

I can't find out if the unit I'm buying has the active dock with the RDS-TMC or just the active dock OR even is it just the one dock. On one website it said in the specs that ''comes with an Active Dock with integrated RDS-TMC Traffic information'' but when I called the guy said that you needed to pay the subscription??? I tried explaining that RDS-TMC is a free service & the HD is the subscription service, all he said then was that well it must be ok but didn't sound convincing, I can get it a bit cheaper elsewhere (about £18) but they don't give much info about the unit.
I called TT support & first he said no it is only subscription then after checking he said it looks like it can receive RDS but didn't know if I needed any extra equipment.

Maybe I should buy a Garmin??

There was some original marketing blurb that TomTom did put about that the x50 range were to ship with the RDS-TMC dock as standard, this is not the case and all you get with the x50 is the standard mount with the mini USB socket.
The accessory mounts with extra sockets or the mount with the integral RDS receiver are all optional extras that you can purchase to go with your x50.

RDS-TMC is free to receive in the UK and Mainland Europe, in the USA you need to pay a subscription - Mike

Thanks (again) this makes sense why there is some confusion, the ebay site where it said that it had the dock with the RDS is probably mistaken (I did email them but have not had a reply yet might try calling them), so I might as well go for the cheapest which surprisingly seems to be Dixons. Then I will have to look for getting a cheap active dock with the RDS.

Had a couple of replies from some dealers, one suggest I ask Tomtom? The other said that TomTom were going to included the RDS function as standard, but they removed it before the unit was released & it is an
optional extra only available from TomTom.com.

Still saved a bit as I was going to get the 950 but got the 750 for ?201 from Dixons.

Last edited:
After reading some of the posts regarding the 750 map update problems & I also found that it didn't come with the remote control I was expecting that it mentioned in the ad, I canceled the order.

Should have maybe done a bit more research to make sure that I get what I want, reading through this forum has been a great help but I am still undecided which one to go for.

My wish list:
Must have European maps - could probably live without the extra maps available on the x50 range for now.
RDS-TMC - live service wouldn't be cost effective as I do low mileage but often long distances
Lane guidance - been caught out loads of times in Europe when we get in the wrong lane
Remote control - if I stick the sat nav on the windscreen for me to easily see it is too far away for the wife to reach if she needs to enter anything. I have a motorhome & you have to undo your seatbelt to reach the windscreen
IQ routes - nice to have but maybe not critical as we tend to avoid busy areas/town centers unless we intend to go there

One of the ones I originally started looking at was the 930T as it seemed to come with everything but this isn't listed on the TT original products :confused: is there a problem with this unit?

Nothing wrong with the 930T whatsoever, just being phased out in the UK. Find one around and it'll do exactly what you listed for your requirements.

Ask a Question