TomTom Announces the x50 series models

dhn

TomTom Model(s)
Go 50; Go 520
Full Press Release:

Berlin, 03 September 2009 ? Today, TomTom announces its new flagship series TomTom GO x50. The three portable navigation devices; TomTom GO 950, TomTom GO 750 and TomTom GO 550 combine TomTom's leading IQ Routes? technology, stylish design and powerful route calculation with a completely optimised user interface. Full attention has been paid to the integration of TomTom's routing technologies into the user interface of the device, making it more intuitive and easier to operate. "As the world's leading provider of navigation solutions and digital maps, it is our duty to constantly break new ground, developing unique technologies with the sole purpose of making the driver's journey more reliable, predictable and affordable," says Corinne Vigreux, Managing Director of TomTom. "All the models of the new TomTom GO x50 series have been designed to do exactly this. They are fast and easy to operate and take the stress out of any driver's journey by providing the latest travel and delay times."

Powerful performance

The new TomTom GO x50 series calculates a route faster than ever before and ensures drivers are ready to go within seconds. It uses the world's largest collection of historical speed profiles. This ever-growing database now includes over 800 billion historic speed measurements of 15 million road kilometres in 24 European countries.

Once on the road, the device is constantly checking if there is faster route, taking changing road conditions into account by using a combination of IQ Routes technology and RDS-TMC information?.

Optimised functionality

The TomTom GO x50 series now also features voice command and control. For the first time users can operate their device by using their voice. Over 100 tasks can be activated by voice, like planning a route, changing preferences or making a call. This means drivers can keep their eyes focused on the road and their hands on the wheel, contributing to road safety. In addition, The TomTom GO x 50 series has an enhanced speaker, which ensures clear voice instructions and improved hands free calling.

The GO x 50 series comes with an Active Dock with integrated RDS-TMC Traffic information. This means drivers always receive traffic information on their journey; even when abroad, without the need to connect additional cables. This allows them to plan their journeys better.

On top of this, new menus including a frequent destinations menu have been added to calculate a route to a frequently visited destination easier and faster. Finally, an Eco Routes option has been added to the route options menu, so drivers can select the most fuel-efficient route to help reduce their impact on the environment.

Enriched Points of Interests database

In selected European countries, the new TomTom GO x50 series has been enriched with third party Points of Interest (POI's) content, including Yellow Pages in Denmark, Merian Scout in Germany and Guia Campsa in Spain.

Increased map coverage

The TomTom GO x50 series features more maps than ever before, including Malta, Greece and Turkey for the first time. In addition, all devices offer TomTom's unique Map Share? technology which allows users to make instant changes to the map and share these with others through TomTom HOME, TomTom's free desktop application. TomTom GO 950 comes with pre-installed maps for door-to-door navigation in US, Canada and 45 countries in Europe and offers Enhanced Positioning Technology (EPT) for uninterrupted navigation even when driving through tunnels; TomTom GO 750 offer seamless door-to-door navigation across 45 countries in Europe; TomTom GO 550 features maps of a selected country or region in Europe.

Price & availability

The TomTom GO x50 series will become available this autumn. Pricing will be revealed upon product availability. Availability varies per country

- END ?

For more information, visit: TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - Optimising your daily drive

Notes to editor:

Ad 1: About TomTom IQ Routes? TomTom IQ Routes applies the historical travel time experience of millions of drivers to calculate the fastest route possible. The technology is based on historical speed measurements for every time of day, one for every road segment, from large motorways to small local roads. In up to 35% of all cases, the use of IQ Routes results in driving a faster route, saving significant travel time as well as money and fuel.

Ad 2: Voice command and control is available on the TomTom GO x 50 series in the following countries: Australia, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxemburg, France, UK, Ireland, Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

Ad 3: RDS-TMC traffic information is currently available in: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Hungary, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK. RDS-TMC traffic information is also available in selected regions in the US, Canada and Australia.

There's also a parallel press release about x50 LIVE devices, with a separate x50 LIVE website.

Given the location and timing of the announcement, I assume they'll have beta versions to play with at the German IFA.

Berlin, 03 September 2009 – Today, TomTom announces its new flagship series TomTom GO x50 LIVE. The three portable navigation devices; TomTom GO 950 LIVE, TomTom GO 750 LIVE and TomTom GO 550 LIVE combine TomTom's leading IQ Routes™ technology with a fully optimised user interface. In addition, the TomTom GO x50 LIVE series comes with an expanded LIVE Services offering, completely integrated in the device to deliver the ultimate navigation package on the market today.

"As the world's leading provider of navigation solutions and digital maps, it is our duty to constantly break new ground, developing unique technologies with the sole purpose of making the driver's journey more reliable, predictable and affordable," says Corinne Vigreux, Managing Director of TomTom. "Our unique innovations guarantee the fastest routes, so users are empowered to confidently deal with the ever-changing road situation and take the right decisions accordingly."

Optimised user interface enhances functionality Full attention has been paid to the integration of TomTom's routing technologies into the user interface of the device. This makes it more intuitive and easier to operate; giving drivers all the information they need about their journey before they set off, at a glance. HD Traffic™, safety alerts and fuel prices are all clearly displayed on the screen via the new LIVE snapshot. Once on the road, drivers automatically receive real-time updates on what's ahead, so they remain informed throughout their journey.

On top of this, new menus including a frequent destinations menu have been added to calculate a route to a frequently visited destination easier and faster. Finally, an Eco Routes option has been added to the route options menu, so drivers can select the most fuel-efficient route to help reduce their impact on the environment.

Increased map coverage
The TomTom GO x50 LIVE series features more maps than ever before, including Malta, Greece and Turkey for the first time. In addition, all devices offer TomTom's unique Map Share™ technology which allows users to make instant changes to the map and share these with others through TomTom HOME, TomTom's free desktop application.

• TomTom GO 950 LIVE comes with pre-installed maps for door-to-door navigation in US, Canada and 45 countries in Europe and offers Enhanced Positioning Technology (EPT) for uninterrupted navigation even when driving through tunnels;
  • TomTom GO 750 LIVE offer seamless door-to-door navigation across 45 countries in Europe;
  • TomTom GO 550 LIVE features maps of specific country or region in Europe.
Powerful performance
The new TomTom GO x50 LIVE series calculates the fastest routes based on the world's largest collection of historical speed profiles. This ever-growing database now includes over 800 billion historic speed measurements of 15 million road kilometres in 24 European countries.

Once on the road, the device is constantly checking if there is faster route, taking changing road conditions into account by using a combination of IQ Routes technology and real-time HD Traffic information?. This continuous optimisation of the route provides shortest and most realistic travel times.

Price & availability
The TomTom GO x50 LIVE series will become available this autumn. Pricing will be revealed as soon as the products become available. LIVE Services are available on subscription basis for a flat fee of 9.95 Euro per month with no hidden costs.

- END -

Ad 1: About TomTom IQ Routes™ TomTom IQ Routes applies the historical travel time experience of millions of drivers to calculate the fastest route possible. The technology is based on historical speed measurements for every time of day, one for every road segment, from large motorways to small local roads. In up to 35% of all cases, the use of IQ Routes results in driving a faster route, saving significant travel time as well as money and fuel.

Ad 2: See separate press releases on expansion of LIVE Services, issued 3 September 2009

Ad 3: TomTom's HD Traffic service is based on the anonymous measurements of ordinary mobile phones moving through the network. A significant proportion of mobile phones on the move are in cars. Analysis of these results gives accurate traffic information for all major and secondary roads. The HD Traffic service is further enhanced with information from TomTom users who wish to share their travel time information anonymously with other users. This contributes to the accuracy and granularity of this unique service. It gives a much more accurate traffic information resource than traditional systems and for much larger territories.

For Investor Relations, please contact:
Richard Piekaar
Tel: +31 (0)20 757 5194
Email: (e-mail address removed)

Digital press materials:
For digital press materials, photos and videos, visit the Press Extranet: http://extranet.tomtom.com. Username: press-tt, password: TomTom

About TomTom

TomTom NV is the world's leading provider of navigation solutions and digital maps. TomTom NV has over 3,300 employees working in four business units – TomTom, Tele Atlas, AUTO and WORK.

TomTom's products are developed with an emphasis on innovation, quality, ease of use, safety and value. TomTom's products include all-in-one navigation devices which enable customers to navigate right out of the box; these are the award-winning TomTom GO family, the TomTom XL and TomTom ONE ranges and the TomTom RIDER. Additionally, independent research proves that TomTom products have a significant positive effect on driving and road safety.

Tele Atlas delivers the digital maps and dynamic content that power some of the world's most essential navigation and location-based services (LBS). Through a combination of its own products and partnerships, Tele Atlas offers digital map coverage of more than 200 countries and territories worldwide. The AUTO business unit develops and sells navigation systems and services to car manufacturers and OEMs. WORK combines industry leading communication and smart navigation technology with leading edge tracking and tracing expertise.

TomTom NV was founded in 1991 in Amsterdam and has offices in Europe, North America, Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. TomTom is listed at Euronext Amsterdam in The Netherlands. For more information, go to TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems & TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems.

Last edited:
As I suspected, no announcement of the device for North America. IMHO, the biggest draw of the x50's will be their new enhanced interface which I understand is very good. Otherwise a marginal improvement in live services for some in Europe and the hardware would appear to be upgraded. My guess is that the new interface will appear on some device to be announced here in North America sometime in the next few months, but I don't have hopes up for the 950.

As I suspected, no announcement of the device for North America. IMHO, the biggest draw of the x50's will be their new enhanced interface which I understand is very good. Otherwise a marginal improvement in live services for some in Europe and the hardware would appear to be upgraded. My guess is that the new interface will appear on some device to be announced here in North America sometime in the next few months, but I don't have hopes up for the 950.

Theirs always the 960 And one more real good thing. You don't have to spend money yet for a new device so save your pennies

Here are a couple of pics from Tomtom's site:

The map really makes me jealous that there's no HD traffic here.

Hopefully with the IFA opening its doors to the public on 9/4, we can get some hands on comments soon.

2648d1252036129-tomtom-announces-x50-series-models-tomtom_85162_tt-go-950-live-active-dock-uk.jpg

2649d1252036262-tomtom-announces-x50-series-models-tomtom_85168_driving-view.jpg

2654d1252036871-tomtom-announces-x50-series-models-tomtom_85175_london-hd-traffic-incidents.jpg

2652d1252036465-tomtom-announces-x50-series-models-tomtom_85178_route-summary.jpg

2653d1252036518-tomtom-announces-x50-series-models-tomtom_85176_navigate-.jpg

Attachments

• tomtom_85162_tt-go-950-live-on-active-dock---uk.jpg
    tomtom_85162_tt-go-950-live-on-active-dock---uk.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 650
  • tomtom_85168_driving-view.JPG
    tomtom_85168_driving-view.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 618
  • tomtom_85178_route-summary.JPG
    tomtom_85178_route-summary.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 640
  • tomtom_85176_navigate-to.JPG
    tomtom_85176_navigate-to.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 609
  • tomtom_85175_london-hd-traffic-incidents.JPG
    tomtom_85175_london-hd-traffic-incidents.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 641
Last edited:
This site appears to have done an IFA hands-on with the device and has more pictures of the interface.

In general, it appears that the interface better integrated LIVE data into the normal flow of usage.

Personally, the interface is already good enough on my 720. This has more info in more natural places, but I'm already used to exactly where and how many times I have to click on my 720. I may turn some of this visual stuff off on a 950, since all I really care about is that Tomtom gets me somewhere the fastest way.

I'll still probably end up getting a 950 once Tomtom launches US HD traffic. While the interface helps, I'd consider paying more for a 950 over a 940 primarily because Tomtom has shown a strong tendency to prioritize bugfixes and feature introductions only on it's latest model series.

Unless, of course, there are material takeaways from the 940 feature set... Tomtom has been relatively quiet on the specs it published on the 950 model, other than IQroutes, EPT, and LIVE services.

MVL. I still don't think we'll see the 950's here even if/when TomTom launcles an HD traffic service. I'm not basing that on any inside knowledge or anything, so obviously I could be wrong. We will see two new (for NA) "live" devices fairly soon, but they're going to be on the entry-level side afaik.

If the UK HD Traffic expands their "free" roaming to the upcoming Verizon sim-card network, then I'll just have to mail order from the UK....

Might be a plan once you see what their HD plans and implementation for NA are. IIRC, Garmins new 1690 will roam either continent, but I'd have to confirm that.

Last edited:
I mentioned earlier that the hardware appeared to be upgraded. Since then it's been indicated that the hardware is basically the same as the x40's. Instead, software has been tweaked from the way I understand it. Even less of a reason to trade up if that's the case. It's beginning to look like the same scenario when the x30's were released. They were simply x20's with a software upgrade and otherwise identical hardware-wise..

I'm now 99% certain that the newly announced x50's are absolutely identical to the x40's hardware-wise. The only thing different is the software, which is navcore 9. So technically there's no reason the current x40's couldn't be upgraded to x50 with a simple application update. Just like the x20's becoming x30's with their latest application. No idea when or if TomTom will make navcore 9 available to our 740's.

I've been keeping an eye out for the 940 on the US FCC website.

Tomtom only got approval for the 740. Since the 940 (and 950 if you're saying it's got identical hardware) has an FM transmitter, it requires a separate FCC filing.

So far nothing on the FCC.

It appears that Tomtom takes 1-2 months to get hardware from FCC approval to the distribution channels (based on the iPhone mount schedule), so we should get 1-2 months early warning if an FM-capable x40/x50 will be sold here.

Wow - amazon.co.uk sold out of the 950, 750, and 550 on the first day of availability (today).

Last edited:
Apparently the German TomTom site shows the 950 having a fm transmitter which, according to one poster, is not correct.

I think you will find thay all the x40 and all the x50 models have the FM Tx built in, the issue is whether or not its enabled by software, if indeed the 740 does have the FM Tx hardware then they wouldn't need another FFC test for the 940 as the only difference is memory capacity and the addition of EPT.
I would also expect the x50 range to have the FM Tx but again disabled by software, look at the 750 Fiat Navcore to get some clue - Mike

It's also now been confirmed that the x50 series, at least in Europe, will only come with 30 days of Live services rather than the 3 months offered with the x40's.

From my experiences with the 930, and the issues that some have had(crashing, reboots, etc...), I suspect that a part of the reason for not seeing the 940 and 950 here in the USA is caused by the bluetooth implementation being VERY VERY VERY buggy. Considering how lawsuit happy many people are here in the USA, it would make sense for them to keep the bluetooth feature out of new units until Tomtom finally gets around to fixing the bug.

I honestly am starting to feel about even the 930 the way I was with Navigator 6 several years ago, where updates slow to a crawl and that feeling of being abandoned has started to set in. I love the features in my 930, and don't want to downgrade to a 7xx. Why no 950 XXL for example, since that SHOULD be the new flagship?

Ask a Question