witch tomtom to buy?

I have never bought a GPS. I had a family member that gave me their tomtom GO 720. I loved it, but it been acting funny- it wont charge and the green light in the car won't come on when its plugged in. Also sometimes it takes me to the wrong place or does not recognize the names of road that are really there. - Its getting old and I have to get a new one. I am going away on a trip and I need one.

I know I want one that does not cost that much
but I want life time map updates and I think hearing the street names would be nice- is life time traffic updates good? I live in a huge metropolitan city - is that worth it to?

my car as blue tooth so I don't need that.

I was looking at the TomTom XXL 550M 5.0 but I have no clue what the difference is between the XXL and XL series

Welcome to TTF.

In truth, there are those who say the 720 (and similar models) are worth maintaining if at all possible. Newer models have reduced functionality and more problems in many cases.

How old was the map in the 720? The latest is 870 and map corrections are made all the time. As far as apparent hardware issues are concerned, it could be a battery needs replacement or perhaps the car charger is faulty (does the unit charge when connected to the computer? If so, look to the charger being the problem, not expensive to replace).

The lifetime traffic is managed by a rds-tmc antenna built into the car charger. Information is via fm signal and is not as accurate or current as models with LIVE functionality. Better than nothing, however.

On the US site right now, both the 540 and the 550 show for the same price ($190). The 550 comes with 'EasyMenu', meaning reduced user functionality. The 540 comes with a full set of preferences (though less than your 720 has).

So, I'd consider the 540 TM, NOT the 550 model.

There are also the new breed of units such as Vias and 2X models. In all good consciousness, I wouldn't suggest you consider them at this time.

I too would say it's worth spending a little time to see if we can help iron out the issues with the 720.

FYI the difference between an XL and an XXL is basically screen size. XLs have a 4.3 inch screen (the same as your Go720) while XXL's have a 5" screen.
(All measurements like TVs - across the diagonal).

it won't charge even on the computer - and I can't get new maps in less I buy them and that is like 70$ --I get the updates but some of streets around here are still wrong. and i can't buy a battery for it at the store. I could get a charger but I don't know if that would help

Ask a Question