Wireless laptop download

Certainly many have done it that way but there are some who do indeed experience issues with corrupted downloaded large files (like a map) from TomToms' servers. Don't know why exactly.

Given your choice, do it with a directly connected modem/router but, if you have no choice then try the wireless.

Can I use a wireless laptop to download the maps for a new TT? Read one of the threads that they were not reliable. Thanks, Bob

sometimes when you download wirelessly versis wired the number of bites downloaded will be slightly different. Its alway better to do it with a wired connection. I have however done in wirelessly and it worked. But why take a chance. Good luck

Downloading wireless add another possible point of failure to the data stream so, it increase the likelihood of errors in the file and, the bigger the file is, the more risks there is. Since the maps are huge, the risk certainly is there. It all depends how stable the wireless link is. The error detection/correction scheme used by wireless network isn't perfect, mainly because heavy error detection/correction slows down the link. Usually, in normal utilization like viewing web pages or even streaming videos, the "missed" errors won't be catastrophic but, when it's in the middle of an almost 2Gb file, that entire file becomes useless, all 2Gb of it...

Personally, my laptop is about 20 feet from the router with one wall in between. I normally average 98-100% signal strength and never had a problem downloading maps.

You should never have any differences downloading wired vs wireless. The TCP protocol has error checking in place and will (ok, should) deliver data the same regardless of the Layer 1 (physical medium) transport used.

Ask a Question