Connecting USB disables wireless wifi network!

Just got a 1005 for XMAS. Looked v nice. connected to Dell laptop running Windows 7 Enterprise only to find that whole wireless network was disabled. Rebooted and had to check on another machine on internet what the problem was!

Seems like plugging in the USB and starting MyTomTom is enough to cause the WLAN AutoConfig service to terminate. Without this no wireless networking is possible on the whole machine!!! Took hours to debug this and track down to the TomTom.

Now I can't get the latest maps or even connect the new device to my laptop.

Is this a known software problem? Doesn't seem like a hardware problem...
:confused:

I'm not sure where you got the correlation between connecting the 1005 and the WLAN Service to terminate but I don't think that is so or there would have been plenty of reports of that happening.

It's true the 1005 has issues as does My Home but that isn't one of them I think.

Thanks for completely dismissing my problem without any evidence based purely on the fact that "you don't think so".

Was such a non-constructive post worthwhile? It certainly didn't help the problem.

There are in fact numerous posts of this service being disabled by software, viruses and other problems. Seems a bit of a co incidence that the service has problems with the device connected but is very stable when not and has been for months.

If someone (else) with a brain would like more evidence or perhaps a vid of the TomTom causing the problem I'd be happy to supply. Believe me, I want it to work more than anyone as I want to start using it and right now I can't even plug it in to charge it :-(

Merry Xmas

The new app 10.x Tomtoms appear as a wireless lan adapter on your computer.

You are the first to post of this problem that I've seen, but the GO 100x is so new, and Windows 7 enterprise is a rarely used OS for consumers, so I'm not surprised if you're just the first to report a known issue.

My guess is that there's some security software causing the lockdown. The presence of a new lan device is very suspicious for security programs, and your lockdown may be a precaution.

Even though I apparently don't have a brain, according to the OP, I guess I owe him an apology. ;)

Have you tried calling Tomtom phone support?

An earlier member was asked to install some win7 hotfix that got their MyTomtom app working. They didn't specifically mention a full network shutdown, but you never know if it's related.

If you call, and that works, can you post the hotfix number for everyone's references?

The Tech had no solution for the Win7Pro64 box beyond connecting via CAT5. The WinXP32 box connected after running the M$ KB 959765, however, MyTT says that I do not have any updates, even with the v.855 maps. The misery continues...

Cheers!!

Connecting USB disables wireless wifi network

Hi Xerxel,

Mine and my wife's tomtom xl live IQ routes europe, does this everytime we plug it in via the usb lead. Our computer is a desktop with a wireless adaptor and we have to unplug that and wait 10 seconds and plug the wireless adaptor back in again to reboot the internet.
Kind Regards

Michael

WiFi Disabled - Confirmed

TT Go Live 1000, just out of box.
Downloaded TT Home 3 as instructed, and installed the 'HotFix' when prompted.

Connected device - wifi disabled and everythng grinds to a halt !
Cold restarted PC. Had to disconnect and reconnect wireless adapter manually to get it alive again, and had to repeat this every time tomtom connected, as it wouldn't come back to life on it's own.

Seems that the tomtom itself is recognised as a wireless adapter, and as the PC can only operate one, it disables the existing one. That's progress for you.

TT customer services helpfully suggested I use a cable to the router instead of a wireless adapter (it's only at the other end of the house on a different floor.)
Also seems that many advertised features are not currently available or supported (map update, map share, backup etc.) Even the ?10 back for registering turns out to be 10 Euro instead.

Awaiting a further response from TT, and then it's a job for Trading Standards I'm afraid. Disappointed is an understatement for a top end product, though the freestanding unit it still an improvement over my Nuvi 1340t

I picked up a via 160 yesterday and ended up with this problem. I have a network adaptor called TomTom, which disconnects the wifi when the gps is connected. You can simply right-click the TomTom Network adaptor and select disable and this should bring your wifi back.

I did some hunting around in the support section of TomTom's website and found this:
◦Make sure your device is listed as a Removable drive under My Computer. If it is not listed, you should enable your device in the Device Manager.

I am running Vista on my computer

After taking the gps fom the box for the first time - I navigated to tomtom.com/getstarted I followed instructions and downloaded/installed a file called InstallMyTomTomSA.exe - this seemed to work fine with my device being shown as connected and having access to the internet wirelessly via my router. At this stage I had no need to check what type of device the gps was shown as on my computer (disk or network adaptor).

My problem started when I installed the HOME software - this is when I noticed the gps being shown as a network adaptor and not a removable disc.

As a result regardless of whether the TomTom network adaptor is enabled or disabled HOME will not recognise it, as it is obviously looking for a removal disc device.

I am send this information off to TomTom in an email and hopefully there is some fix.

Last edited:
The VIA models, along with the 100x series and the 24x and 25x series in North America REQUIRE the web based MyHome interface. The usual Home 2 will NOT work with that model.

further, there is no way for the user to access the file system on these models as they will NOT show as removable disks on your computer.

I have Windows 7 Enterprise edition on a Toshiba laptop. I never had the issue that is described here, I got my Tomtom for christmas a XL 340M.

Also I don't show any tomtom as network device at all.

Now as a tech, if your wireless is USB Wireless NIC, and you connect your Tomtom, depending on which ports are partnered with each other it will knock the wireless off, because as I can tell right now, the Tomtom uses 500ma of power and that is the max output shared by 2 ports, so if you connect the tomtom near the Wirless USB, it will knock it off.

Here is a screenshot of my power tab showing the connected Tomtom using 500ma of power.

tomtompower.png

However if your laptop uses an internal wireless, and if you check the network connections and there is a LAN for tomtom, than you might want to try either a) Disabling this LAN or B) manually starting the service that was stopped and try to reconnect it again.

Sorry if this info was not helpful to you, but this is just another thought, considering I have seen this happen with high end MP3 players, that take lots of power.

I have integrated wifi and the usb power is not an issue - if the TomTom network adaptop is enabled you will loose your wifi, but be able to see the gps in the update utility - if you disable the TomTom network adaptor, your wifi will come back, but the update utility says "not connected"

"the Tomtom uses 500ma of power and that is the max output shared by 2 ports"

???

Any device is permitted to ask for the maximum of 500mA, even if another device also requests this same current on a second port of the host.

Reply from TomTom Support:

Regarding your issue with your unit not being recognized by Tom Tom Home 2, this should not happen as it uses another program now, it is called "My Tom Tom". Also your unit should not be recognized as a removable disk in My Computer. However, the actual issue you are experiencing is under investigation.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Unfortunately I am none the wiser for reading their response :confused: - they also say that the call is will be marked as resolved if I dont reply in the next 3 days. So I suspect that you will not be able to use while connected to wifi.

I am a little disappointed though, the device is actually quiet nice - I even have some luck with the voice controls - would be nice to use TomTom Home to update POIs, ect instead of having to tap about on the GPS :(

I have not had any trouble with my wireless when connecting my 2505. Worked on both my XP laptop and Windows 7 desktop. Both are wireless and had no issues except there is nothing to update through My TomTom even though maps are out of date.

I have integrated wifi and the usb power is not an issue - if the TomTom network adaptop is enabled you will loose your wifi, but be able to see the gps in the update utility - if you disable the TomTom network adaptor, your wifi will come back, but the update utility says "not connected"

The Tomtom shows as a new network adapter. I'm starting to think that Win7 is treating the Tomtom as the primary network adapter, routing all internet traffic through it, and thus your computer is ignoring your wifi.

You'd need to play with advanced network configuration, only letting the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx subnet go to the Tomtom, and the rest should go through your wifi.

I don't have win7 so I don't know how to do that specifically.

Re TomTom acting as network adapter

That is likely exactly what is happening.

I had the same problem on my Mac. It took me days to figure out why MyTomTom would not connect to the internet. Then by accident I noticed that the TomTom had been added to the Network preferences panel (the Mac equivalent of the Window Control Panel) as a network interface. I deleted the network interface and since then everything is working perfectly.

As mentioned before some of the devices are recognised a network adaptors and not disks - this is by design. The problem is now fixed with the latest update :D - the update even allows you to upload ov2 and bmp

Ask a Question