Will TomTom be releasing ..

A new version of the TomTom car kit, fully compatible with the new iPhone 4?

Is so, any time scales?

My first post, I had a good look, so I apologise if I've missed this elsewhere.

I haven't seen mention of a new one and would be surprised if they do offer one any time soon. The original Car Kit hasn't been a huge seller, but much of the blame is due to slower than anticipated sales of the Tomtom iPhone app itself IMHO. The high price of the dock is still in line with other competing ones, so I don't really think it's simply a price issue. Also consider that the new iPhone4 location performance is significantly improved, eliminating one of the major attractions of TomTom's kit, a redundant gps chipset.

So it won't surprise me if they decide to forget about a redesign. Just a guess of course.

I though I heard rumor a few months back that Google was going to release a free app for navigation. (a real Garmin/TomTom like app with spoken directions). Maybe they're waiting to see how that pans out. I'd not want to invest time and money to be squashed by something that does the same thing free!!!
We all love our TomTom's but we all love FREE, too.

Yes. Google hasn't yet made that feature for non-Android models. Probably part of it is Google's attempt to have a unique selling point for their Android OS.

A new version of the TomTom car kit, fully compatible with the new iPhone 4?

Is so, any time scales?

My first post, I had a good look, so I apologise if I've missed this elsewhere.

My first post too. :)

I hope for all of humanity that TomTom does not make an entire new car holder since the one they have today seems to work just fine if you just retrofit it with a piece of velcro or a small self adhesive rubber feet.

There are lots of information about this at this time so I hope that TomTom just offers a retrofit solution for existing owners and for the remaining stock that has shipped from TomTom and there from includes the retrofit
and an information about how to use it when the kit is used with iPhone 4.

Or is it really that important that the kit is specifically made for the iPhone 4?

So I'm curious, what's the benefit you folks are looking for when trying to use the TomTom cradle with the iPhone 4? I'm personally finding that the iPhone 4 edges out the GPS in the cradle in terms of accuracy, even in cities.

I haven't seen mention of a new one and would be surprised if they do offer one any time soon. The original Car Kit hasn't been a huge seller, but much of the blame is due to slower than anticipated sales of the Tomtom iPhone app itself IMHO. The high price of the dock is still in line with other competing ones, so I don't really think it's simply a price issue.

I paid GBP7.50 for a charger, about the same for a cradle. They both seem to work fine, although I don't do a lot of tall city driving. Cost of tom-tom car kit is GBP100 (USD156)!

Price of the cradle was certainly an issue for me. Combined with the initial very high price for the app, I think TomTom thought they still had a virtual monopoly, and got a shock when competitors came in at 10% of the price!

TomTom has made an adapter for it's existing cradle for a better iPhone 4 fit. You won't have to pay for it either, available to Tomtom's existing cradle buyers for free. Watch for the official announcement and details soon.

From personal experience the iPhone 4 GPS is just as fast as the one in the car kit, defeating its main appeal.

Correct. The added gps chip (and related high price!) is neither necessary or helpful with the iPhone4. There are better solutions for that particular phone IMHO.

Ask a Question