why tom tom

I have read alot of threads here and there seems to be alot of problems. I purchased a 330s and had no problems doing any of the updates at tom tom home. Was I just lucky or should I have gotten a different gps. I have only used it a couple of times but have not had a problem.

Understand that relatively few people come here when they DON'T have issues with their units. You happen to be one of them, it seems. :)

There are plenty of people with all models who have no problems at all.

You have made an Explorer backup of your unit's contents, I hope.

gps

I have read alot of threads here and there seems to be alot of problems. I purchased a 330s and had no problems doing any of the updates at tom tom home. Was I just lucky or should I have gotten a different gps. I have only used it a couple of times but have not had a problem.

I have the TT Go740 and outside of a few connection issues with my live services, I haven't had any complaints with my GPS......It is and has been working flawlessly since I have owned it. The only problems that I have had with my live services was not really the fault of the gps, was issues with my subscription and the nut on this side of the on/off button, meaning "me"....:) Overall I would highly recommend the TomTom (Go740) gps to anyone that might ask. I will have to say that its not as user friendly as say the Garmin which I have owned in the past.

Well I bought my 330s and have had no issues with it. I have issues with the way it wants me to go, when I know there is a shorter route, (and I have tried quckest option and shortest option and alternative route) I wish there was a way to save the new short route, like an intelligent correction but I doubt any gps will do that....
I am very satisfy with the unit.

Well I bought my 330s and have had no issues with it. I have issues with the way it wants me to go, when I know there is a shorter route, (and I have tried quckest option and shortest option and alternative route) I wish there was a way to save the new short route, like an intelligent correction but I doubt any gps will do that....
I am very satisfy with the unit.

At some point, you might want to consider upgrading to a TomTom with IQ routing like the 340S. You will find that most of your routing complaints will go away.

I think TomTom should sell their GPS with the latest software/maps installed. Let the users with lot of PC experience tinker with their devices. I think most of the problems come from users who update their GPS not the ones who leave them alone.

And how is that possible? From the time the unit leaves the factory, goes to distributors around the world, then filters down to retailers, sits on shelves or warehouses for who knows how longt and finally into the user's hands may very likely be well over the 3 months (about, give a day or two) between new map releases.

That's what the Latest Map guarantee is all about.............

Release new GPS, Software, Maps once year only.
I know, it's not possible marketing wise.:)
But getting the bad raps is not good either.

Release new GPS, Software, Maps once year only.
I know, it's not possible marketing wise.:)
But getting the bad raps is not good either.

Better off to fix the root causes of the bugs in the upgrade process. There are only a few of them, but it seems to only be fixed on the 2009 models.

The US get's dumped with a lot of the 2008 models as "new", and Tomtom doesn't seem to prioritize them for fixes of known problematic bugs.

I find that Garmin's approach is better: Software + old map in the flash memory , new map on SD card only. And don't update the software often. When the Map update goes wrong, let the user take out the SD card and things should work exactly as the same as the day it was purchased.
Garmin users rave about the solidity of their GPS because... most of them never touch theirs at all. They even buy new map on SD card and stick it in.

Want to read a long thread from a Garmin forum where a Garmin software update totally BRICKED every unit of a certain model a few months back?

Every brand has its 'issues' now and then.............

Are these Garmins using Linux.:) ? Their programmers haven't got used to Linux yet, have they ?
But updating something you just own for a few days, for the first time to boot, chance that you go wrong is very big. Beside 'Home' is very buggy.

Ask a Question