Why don't businesses supply POIs of their locations?

Are POIs in a standard format for all the major brands of GPS units? I'm not sure, but I seem to think I have read that different brands use different formats etc.

If not, this is the sort of thing that just screams out for standardization. If everyone uses a common format across multiple brands it makes it easier for businesses to make their information available to the public and to keep them updated.

Are POIs in a standard format for all the major brands of GPS units? I'm not sure, but I seem to think I have read that different brands use different formats etc.

Different manufacturers have different POI database formats: TomTom has ov2, Garmin gpx, etc...

Still there are freeware apps that can convert back and forth and also export to ASCII/readable format.

Atticus

Different manufacturers have different POI database formats: TomTom has ov2, Garmin gpx, etc...

Still there are freeware apps that can convert back and forth and also export to ASCII/readable format.

Atticus

The fact that any conversion needs to be done is probably an issue. If they could simply agree to a single POI format it would make it easier, and cheaper, for businesses to put the info out.

I also don't think many businesses consider it to be a big deal. Until I got my GPS unit, I never would have thought of it.

Most chain type businesses have a Store Locator on their website. It just doesn't seem to be a far leap to provide the locations in a few formats that would be GPS device-friendly. I just sent of an email to Subway Sandwich shops. (Watching my diet...) I'll report any response I get.

I have trouble believing any chain type business wouldn't want you to be able to easily locate THEIR store while we're out driving around!

Seems like a drop-kick to me...

Ask a Question