Why did go with Tom Tom

I'm just wondering, why did you go with Tom Tom GPS over Garmin or other brands?
Garmin has this nasty habit of partitioning memory. While there may well be lots of memory left available, the amount that can be used for certain purposes is limited. The nature of Garmin's file system is sufficiently proprietary that it is nowhere NEAR as flexible in its use as the TomTom. The TomTom is much more "tweakable", and for my purposes, that's important. I really appreciate being able to place about 1500 HTML files in the "text" directory with an index for quick lookup of logs for geocaching sites that I've added as a POI file. It's all so easy to create this sort of thing on a PC and just slide it all over to the "disk drive" that Windows sees the TomTom to be.

Would you be able to email me that HTML file, I want to see what you are talking about:
(e-mail address removed)

Live editable maps was the reason I bought my first tomtom ONE. IQroutes is the reason I updated to a GO.

I already have a built in Nav system in my Accord but the directions on the tomtom are so much better that I don't even use the car nav any more.

Moving from PDA to AIO GPS, I started off a big fan of Magellan, owned the Roadmate one and loved it but its top-notch Maestro 4250 sent my feeling downhill too quick, I then moved to Garmin with StreetPilot C550 then Nuvi 660. At that point, I hate Tomtom, actually to be fair, Tomtom was not in my list since it's the most ugly GUI look, bulky, not friendly user and it used TeleAtlas not Naqteq. Since my Nuvi660 downplayed me a few time, I decided to tackle on the Tomtom XL-S and suddenly, it just suck me right into it, fast response (way faster than Magellan and Garmin), TWEAKABLE and again still using TeleAtlas (you see I contradict myself there :)) which is much better covered in my area. Another reason that I go with Tomtom was it (XL-S at the time) was the ONLY one that route me home CORRECTLY. Time went by, Tomtom nowsaday is much improved with IQ Route, ALG, fast calculation, fast refresh rate, basically more fun, it's actually a toy, not only a GPS.

Would you be able to email me that HTML file, I want to see what you are talking about:
(e-mail address removed)
First, understand that you need to create a folder either in your TomTom's root directory or the root of an SD card (if you use one) called "text" (drop the quotes). Put basic HTML files and associated GIF files in there and the TomTom will be able to read those. I'll email a couple of these files to you along with the index file, but all they are is HTML generated by a program called GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife). It knows how to take what we call Pocket Query GPX data from geocaching.com and convert that information into a POI (point of interest) file for the TomTom (*.OV2 format) and all of the associated log files can be generated as HTML to read with the TomTom media browser. The former goes into your map folder and the latter go into that "text" folder I mentioned.

I'm not sure if ALL of the TomTom models support the text reading / browser feature, but all of the GO series does.

What does it mean: Live editable maps?
Does Rider 2 have that?

Tomtom is the only vendor where you can make street changes on your map yourself (one-ways, deletes, and turn restrictions - you can't add a road). The rider has the feature. Go to menu, next screen, map corrections.

All the other GPS brands only let you report the changes, and you have to hope they fix it by the time you buy a new map from them.

For example, there's a super-windy road in my area where people drive 50mph with a 25 mph speed limit. It also has tons of potholes and trees lining it close on both sides. I've had a few friends drive too fast and end up in a tree and in the hospital.

The road is a direct path, but too dangerous for my tastes, and with tomtom I can simply erase it. No other vendor lets me do that.

Uh....well....had a four hundred dollar coupon from an office supply store:). I wanted a gps and TT was the brand they sold. Since I bought it I have had the opportunity to have other brands but I stick to the TT.

I have a Garmin eTrex Legend that I used mainly for geocaching. But, although it really wasn't designed for it, I used it to navigate on the highways as well.

When I decided to get a new GPS (for the truck & motorcycle), I was going to get a Garmin. Then, at Christmas, TomTom came out with a great deal on the One 125, so I bought one for my son. Then I figured I'd buy one for myself, since it was less than $100.

I really can't compare it to any similar Garmins or others, but so far, I'd say when I do decide to upgrade, which I will, I will most likely go with TomTom.

I like the feel of the tomtom in my hand better than the plasticky-cheap feel of the other brands.

The craftsmanship of the tomtom body looks expensive. And those of the
garmins or magellan, well they look like they spewed out of a highspeed plastic molding machine,
too many for quality control to handle. They are so great in number that they have their own
corner in every costco store. The sad thing is those who buy garmin or magellan will now have
a hard time convincing the wife to switch over and try the Tomtom.

When I got my first TomTom the European maps for it were FAR better and FAR more extensive than those available for a Garmin. I wanted to be able to use it in Europe as well as in North America. It was also able to give me directions in Italian. Easy choice.

I used a Garmin GPS V Deluxe for a couple of years on the motorcycle and it did basicly what I wanted at the time, speed, altitude and of course the map for guidance, but it was very difficult to use routing and had that very small 2.3" screen, so a year ago the wife was watching QVC and said look e here they have a GPS for sale, it was the TT One XL and at a very good price, so after watching there demo I said, self, you might like that one and self's wife said OK that's your Xmas present and that's how I was introduced to the TT's, mine works just fine for what my needs are and since we now can use Tyre with Google I'm a happy TT user.............:D

As much as I had bad experience on my TomTom from start the unit's performance have not been a let down. I gotten my GO730 cheap so I really cant complain too much. Hope it will still run well in years to come.

After extensive deliberation, I chose TT over Garmin primarily for the ability to to add functionality (TYRE, Tripmaster, etc) to the device at my own choosing. Customization/flexibility is important to me, and Garmin didn't provide enough of that.

As with any device, my 720 has some shortcomings, but the ability to add stuff in many different ways, and the easy interface outweigh those shortcomings.

I've only had my 720 in operation for a few days, but I'm really happy so far! Great information on this forum too - I appreciate everyone's input and help!

Jim

edit: Incidentally, the upgraded map (825) and firmware (8.302) made a big difference in my device over the versions it came with. The IQ routes have adjusted my daily work trip to the time it actually takes; without IQ routes the 720 estimated travel time was +10 minutes. It is much better now in all time estimates.

Last edited:

Ask a Question