Did TomTom HOME break my xl live?

I bought my XL live the other day, and after a few days of use i noticed that it could do with a update, so plugged it into the laptop, downloaded HOME. Home then said i needed a application update and a map update, so i updated. But now when i turn the tomtom on, it says " Problem with map you cannot use this map on this device: United_kingdom_and_republic_of_ireland-161"

Ive contacted customer support yesterday and they asked for my System Information from the tomtom, so while im waiting for them to get back to me, (we all know what any customer support can be like) I thought i would post here.

Your new downloaded map file should be here:

C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

So, use Explorer to look at the contents of the specific map folder on your unit. You should see a file called something like United_kingdom_and_republic_of_ireland-161.meta.dct.

Ensure you have Folder view -- advanced -- in folder options in control panel showing' hide extension for known file types UNCHECKED.)

So, if you do NOT see the file I said, go to the location of the map and use WinRar to look at the contents of the zip file. You should see within an activation.cab file with the file I said you need.

Extract that file and copy it to the map folder on your unit.

Did you have an old Tomtom on that email account in the past? Sometimes that confuses HOME.

Call Tomtom phone support. They should be able to fix the issue while you're on the phone.

Um - guys - isn't this the problem that we were all talking about for the last 48 hours ... the bad certificates being sent with the map?

To the OP...

There was a bit of a cock up back at TomTom's server day before yesterday. Maps were being sent with bad certificates. You'll need to delete and reload the map for your unit. The new map will arrive with a certificate that passes muster with the TomTom firmware. In the event that there's any problem retrieving a new copy of your map with the correct certificate, you might need to call tech support, but most users and finding that this is just self-healing on its own now.

You can read about it in gory detail in this thread which was just a few lines down from this one a moment ago:

https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom...m-cs-map-updates-broken-no-fix-available.html

Last edited:

Ask a Question