tomtom give give 100 rebate did not want to honor it. Actions taken

Well let me start by saying this that TOMTOM really pissed me off with the rebate being that the conditions to collecting the rebate were as follows:
1. must buy unit from an authorized dealer. (check)
2. dealer must not give an instant rebate. (check)
with these two things satisfied I placed my order for the tomtom 920 love it by the way. I then get the unit after a 3 day wait. after getting it i check to make sure it works before cutting up the box for the UPC. I fill out the required rebate form enclose all documents asked for and send to tomtom. 6 to 8 weeks rolls by and the other day i checked my email and their was a email saying that the rebate was accepted until i opened the letter which read as follow:

Dear,

The TomTom, Inc. Rebate Center has completed processing your submission for the following promotion:
Department: 098116 - 2007 GIVEGIVE Holiday Savings
Submission ID: 100628676

Unfortunately, we were unable to honor your request for the following reason: The receipt you submitted is from a non-authorized store or a store that offered an instant rebate at the time of purchase and is not valid for the mail in rebate. Please visit www.TomTom.com for a full listing of authorized dealers.

You will receive an additional notification by mail. You may also access your submission by contacting us at:
Online: http://www.rebatestatus.com/link.aspx?P100628676-76242640
Customer Service: 888-314-9902

We appreciate your business. Thank you.

Please do not reply to this message. Because this message has been automatically generated, your reply will not receive attention.

So I did what any rational person would do and contact tomtom by the phone number given because obviously they have made a mistake. well come to find out that they can do nothing for me because tomtom said because the store was a huge retailer (they gave an example of bestbuy to me i bought it from dell) that tomtom excluded them from the rebate with out putting anything out there to inform the consumer. must have used invisible ink for that fine print. made me even madder. so I took the next logical step i tried to go the corporate route but easy to say could not find any contact info for them so what am i to do. Well one last option the BBB ( better business beurea ) the following transpired from that action:

View Complaint

STATUS SUMMARY
Case #:
Date Case Opened: 02/29/2008
Days Pending Closure: 1
Pending Closing Type: 110 Resolved
Company resolved the complaint issues. The consumer failed to acknowledge acceptance to the BBB.
Pending Closing Summary: The BBB is pleased that it has been able to be of service to you in resolving your complaint. Unless we receive further written comment (rebuttal to the business response) from you, we shall consider your case closed on 3/14/2008.

We received the following response from the business to your complaint.
Problem adjusted: Yes
Date adjusted on: 03/04/2008
Type of adjustment: Full Adjustment
Based on the information provided by the customer we did research the GiveGive participants and Dell was a participant. We have re-submitted the rebate and the rebate will be honored. It will take 6-8 weeks for processing.
Days for Business
to Respond: 0
Pending Days to Close: 4

COMPLAINT

Customer

Complaint Type: Consumer to Business
Salutation:

Direct Complaint to

Firm ID: 97057
Business name: TomTom, Inc.
Address: 150 Baker Avenue Extension
City: Concord
State: MA
Zip code: 01742

Business public phone: 978-287-9555
Complaint handler fax: 978-287-9522
Complaint handler e-mail: (e-mail address removed)

Complaint Information
Date purchased: 01/03/2008
Zip Code of purchase location:
Store/Establishment #:
Date of problem
first occurred: 02/29/2008
Have you complained
to the business: Yes
If yes whom did you
complain to
(last name): tomtom rebate number
Purchase price: $599.95
Amount in dispute: $100.00
Product or service involved: tomtom give give rebate 100.00
Brand name or manufacturer: tomtom
Model name or number: go 920
Order, contract or
account number :
Salesperson's name: dell.com
Primary Nature of Complaint: Advertising Issues
An advertisement that failed to disclose all conditions required to take advantage of an offer

Brief description of problem:
I bought this item after seeing on the tomtom website that they offered a 100.00 rebate as long as you bought it from 1. an authorized dealer and 2. the dealer did not offer and instant rebate. So I bought the item from dell.com assuming after I had seen their name on the tomtom.com's website as an authorized dealer that they would honor the advertised rebate.

Settlement sought:
I would just like for them to honor the 100.00 rebate. Which was the main driving force behind my purchase of the unit.
Primary settlement type: Refund-Check

SENT TO BUSINESS

Sent On: 03/04/2008
Complaint Sent Via: Fax

BUSINESS RESPONSE

Response Date: 03/04/2008
Problem Adjusted: Yes
Date adjusted on: 03/04/2008
Adjustment Type: Full Adjustment
Response Details: Based on the information provided by the customer we did research the GiveGive participants and Dell was a participant. We have re-submitted the rebate and the rebate will be honored. It will take 6-8 weeks for processing.
Name: Faithe Toomy
Title: Supervisor
Phone: 978-287-9555

well needless to say I won that arguement with out threats of legal action which was the next logical choice. to think all this over 100 bucks greedy tomtom.

Well done, albert!

Don't take the dealings with TomTom personally, if you know what I'm saying. Many of us here, when dealing with TT over various issues, have come to realize that the left hand often doesn't know what the right hand is doing at TomTom.

The sad thing in all of that transpired involving your rebate is that more than likely the next person who tries for the rebate involving Dell will also get refused. :rolleyes:

I believe that is SOP for the TT Rebate Center to reject ALL applicants. Received the same emails and letters from them. Emaild them a copy of the PDF provided by TT and the issue was resolved. Happy to report that I cashed my rebate check two weeks ago.

I believe that is SOP for the TT Rebate Center to reject ALL applicants. Received the same emails and letters from them. Emaild them a copy of the PDF provided by TT and the issue was resolved. Happy to report that I cashed my rebate check two weeks ago.
I think quite a few companies do the same. One of the worst I've had experience with is Tiger Direct. I finally did get an earned rebate, but instead of taking 6 weeks, it took 6 months. I'd actually given up on it.

Ask a Question