Which Tom Tom to buy?

I am searching for my first GPS. After spending days reading Garmin and Tom Tom model reviews, I have decided to go with Tom Tom. I rarely need a GPS, except when I go into Nashville, TN, or on an ocassional vacation into new territory. I am retired, so no commuting to work, etc.

Anyway, I am trying to decide between the XL 340S, the XXL 540TM, and the XXL 550TM. Maybe the last two are over-kill for me, but the idea of a 5" screen appeals to my aging eyes. Is the 1 GB in the 340S a drawback? What is "Easy Menu"? Is that only on the XXL 550? Are the window mounts really that hard to master (quick install/remove)?

More importantly to me right now is the fact that after reading some of the questions and replies in this forum, I am now a little scared to enter the GPS world. I know there is a learning curve with any GPS unit, but all these discussions of backing up the GPS to Windows, downloading updates, etc., have me quite worried. I am not very computer-literate. I just want to get from A to B, with a GPS that is accurate and very visible and easily heard. Should I just stick with Mapquest?

Welcome to TTF.

The 5" screens are nice, I agree. Not only for the visibility but it's easier to type on a 5" screen than a smaller one.

EasyMenu means far fewer user options and flexibility than models with full menus. If you had a previous tomtom gps with the full menu structure, you'd be disappointed going to something like the 550 because you'd why you no longer had certain options you probably used in the past.

In your case, you wouldn't know what you missed since it would be your first experience with a tomtom gps unit. That said, I still would never suggest anyone ever buy such a restricted model.

All models come with what is known as an 'Easyport' mount such that it isn't too much of a problem mounting the unit on a windshield. Just remember to have both the windshield and the plastic part of the mount clean when you make the connection.

How the mount works is here

It's always best to make an Explorer backup of your unit's data as soon as you get the unit out of the box as well as prior to and after major updates like maps. Our instructions for doing so are here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

Yes, a 1 gb storage space is restrictive, especially since all models you list have no sd slot for the capability to use a sdhc card for additional storage.

You clearly have done research into the products and I presume you've scanned the forums here. So, you see that there are many members here eager to help with any questions users may have.

Of the models you mention, I'd go with the 540

I am searching for my first GPS. After spending days reading Garmin and Tom Tom model reviews, I have decided to go with Tom Tom. I rarely need a GPS, except when I go into Nashville, TN, or on an ocassional vacation into new territory. I am retired, so no commuting to work, etc.

Anyway, I am trying to decide between the XL 340S, the XXL 540TM, and the XXL 550TM. Maybe the last two are over-kill for me, but the idea of a 5" screen appeals to my aging eyes. Is the 1 GB in the 340S a drawback? What is "Easy Menu"? Is that only on the XXL 550? Are the window mounts really that hard to master (quick install/remove)?

More importantly to me right now is the fact that after reading some of the questions and replies in this forum, I am now a little scared to enter the GPS world. I know there is a learning curve with any GPS unit, but all these discussions of backing up the GPS to Windows, downloading updates, etc., have me quite worried. I am not very computer-literate. I just want to get from A to B, with a GPS that is accurate and very visible and easily heard. Should I just stick with Mapquest?

As you can see by this forum and as many users and problems there are here TT is probably not your best choice.....

Hamradionut

I have the 540TM. I like the traffic and free map updates. This latest map made great strides (in my opinion) to get much more of the USA onto the device. I've used both a Garmin and TomTom in Nashville and neither ever did me wrong.

The 5 inch screen is great and the 540 has some pretty cool features. The lane guidance (which seems to becoming a standard) is really neat in areas where you're not familiar, it actually shows you what lane to be in..

I think the 540 has it's problems (as you may find browsing the forum) but is also a pretty good unit for less cost than a comparable Garmin (in my opinion).

I have the XXL 550 TM, and have had a couple of earlier models. The updated maps and updated menu have created a product that I find very easy to make do what I need, without the need to connect to the computer to update this, download that, and covert something else. At this point in time, it is an easy unit to operate. The Traffic feature is something that the longer you have it and use it, the easier it is to understand. There is a learning curve when you start. I have senior eyes and enjoy the larger screen and keyboard.

The two areas that I think are drawbacks are the Easyport mount and the power cord attachment. I had to upgrade the included suction cup mount because it wouldn't stay attached to the windshield in the cold. The one I now have attaches very firmly, but requires two hands and is a bit cumbersome. Connecting the power cord to the unit makes me cuss every time.

Drawbacks aside, I think this is a nice unit for the casual user. No matter which make or model you buy, there will be pluses and minuses.

I agree with Thom and Mattmilv statements above. I have also used many differant GPS, and they all have there drawbacks.

That being said, in a perfect world then we wouldn't need forums like this to complain in.

HamRadioNut

I agree with Thom and Mattmilv statements above. I have also used many differant GPS, and they all have there drawbacks.

That being said, in a perfect world then we wouldn't need forums like this to complain in.

HamRadioNut

Where I don't agree with you is coming here to complain. Yes, there is plenty of that that goes on, but I've gained a ton of useful information here and there are tons of people that help!!

Where I don't agree with you is coming here to complain. Yes, there is plenty of that that goes on, but I've gained a ton of useful information here and there are tons of people that help!!

I don't see it as complaining, it's just an opinion like everyone elses here. I too have got useful information here and I am in no way bashing this or any other forum. I just think (and here again it's my opinion) that Tom Tom would listen to there customers better.

I am somewhat happy with my unit, yes there are problems sometimes and features I wished they didn't take out, but then even people driving new cars have problems.

???

Last edited:
Posting complaints is a legitimate purpose of this forum (nobody does it more than I ;) ).

Just venting in posts over and over (which you are NOT doing by any means) gets wearisome and is not beneficial to anyone. As mods, we've had to step in once in a while.

This forum is one of the reasons I bought another TomTom. I was considering a Garmin a few months ago, but saw a lot of complaints about the model I was considering. Then I looked at a Garmin forum and saw that days or weeks would go by before any requests for help were answered.

This is an excellent and very resourceful forum. Thanks to all those who help out here. :D

Ask a Question