Which European map?

TomTom Model(s)
go live 950
I have a new Go 950 Live with the latest European map installed. It also came with North america, which I've moved to a memory card to make room for the latest maps.

Tomtom Home keeps telling me newer maps are available and is trying to sell me a map update service for the Western & Central Europe 2GB map I had on my old 730. This is all fine and dandy, but shouldn't it be offering me updates for the whole of europe map that the device came with? In actual fact the map I was using on my 730 was Europe - Western Zone, which it won't allow me to install anyway due to "content restrictions". Are these not all the same map with varying levels of coverage, or is one better than the others?

If I delete the Western Europe 2GB one from my computer I just just get it offered for download in Tomtom Home again, and this is still the one I'm offered the map update service on. I'm happy to use this one if they're both the same, but shouldn't the bigger map that the device was supplied with be the one to use?

Did you register the 950 with a DIFFERENT email address than the one used for the 730? You should.........

You say that as if it's what any sensible person would have done. Why would I set up yet another throwaway hotmail address, which I wouldn't monitor anyway as it's just another spam magnet. The address I have at the moment is the one that tomtom can use if I have any support issues or if they want to inform me of anything.

It's like buying a new house every time you change your car.

I had to do this last time I changed my Logitech Harmony remote, and now I can't even remember what that email address is,so if I ever change my computer I'll have no idea how to log back in. So now I have to do this with my Tomtom as well, and no doubt any other new gadget I get.

And they call it progress. Stuff it, I'll save myself the money and stick with the original maps until they become unusable (which in London won't take that long).

In any case, I'd appreciate an answer to the question, i.e. what's the difference between the maps other than coverage? My Western Europe update service is about to expire, so if anybody knows....

All you had to tell me was that I simply had to wait for my existing Map Update Service to expire, after which I'd be offered a new update service at half price for the maps that are currently in the device.

All now appears to be well. I'm sorry I went off on one at you but it did seem a) madness, and b) completely unlike anything any sane person would have figured out by themselves.

turns out all I had to do was wait.

Ask a Question