What is the deal with the USA One XL update?

"Red X" and windows XP can not read device

I was in a panic. In Paris France (after removing my US maps and adding the western european which worked great, ensure you always back up!), went to upload local items and my Tomtom "crashed". I could do nothing to get it to read the drive. XP said can't read drive file system corrupted. Ultimately I was desparate so I tried to reformat the drive. It worked like a champ. Use start: run: format E: (or the appropriate drive letter that is indicated for your device. Following that use the standard tomtom instructions for restoring the device. took an hour or so to restore but it is working... Lesson always back-up your tomtom.:D

I suceed to install a new mapshare and fix.:) still can't use car icon or old good compass.

cannot connect

lissa5168,

I'm having the same problem. How did you get the old version back if you couldnt connect to your computer?

Tommy,

I have mine installed on a 2GB SD card, so all I had to do was pop the card reader into my laptop, reformat the card, and dragged all the files from my latest backup over. (I back up my card using Explorer once a week.)

lissa5168,

I'm having the same problem. How did you get the old version back if you couldnt connect to your computer?

It took me several attempts of unplugging then plugging back in to get the device to recognize. But once i had it i did the following..

Connect Device > Open TomTom Home > Click "Add Maps, Traffic, Voices, etc." > Click "Items on My Computer > Click "Applications" > Click "More Info" to find the 7.167 and then click "Add"

Update the device and you should be done.

This firmware update was such a disappointment.

Last edited:

Ask a Question