What is the deal with the USA One XL update?

A couple of weeks ago, TomTom released an update for the One XL that was supposed to upgrade the unit to 8.010. To make a long story short, I downloaded it, found out I could no longer connect to Home, so I called Tech Support who got me back the the older version and explained that the update was accidentally released to the public and was only meant for the One XL T which is European or something. They said they were taking the release down and putting up the correct one and that once it no longer said One XL T that it would be safe to download.

Now it's two weeks + later and the "mistake" release is STILL showing up in Home and I am constantly having to clear it. I've called Tech Support and they basically tell me I'm seeing things, lol.

Anybody have any idea when the new update will be released for the US One XL? Thought I'd ask here since I usually see better answers here than you get from TomTom. :D

I still have that app. running...it sucks!

I want my compass back! I have that App. 8.010 running on my XLS right now, and wondered what the XL T was. It seems to do most all that it used to do, except I lost my compass function, which pi$$es me off.

The only new thing I see is that I get to choose some various car icons, instead of the usual arrow. Whoopy! :rolleyes:

I never really used the itinerary feature, but many are in an uproar over issues with that feature, I think.

Oh yeah, the current B&W icons for the various POIs look like 8-bit crap, from the Atari 2600 days.

I figured as long as it kept my favorites with the update, still has my USA_Canada map, and gets me where I'm going, I won't gripe too much, but I do want my "nice" compass back, NOT that crappy little blue thing under the "status bar preferences".

Last edited:
The compass is still there, better than ever.

Attachments

• compass1.jpg
    compass1.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 429
lissa5168 - Update to 8 through TomTom Home. It will install the correct version for your unit. I have been using 8 since home presented it.

You may want to visit Birdmans site. He has a wealth of information there.

http://home.comcast.net/~spheasant1/TomTom_custom.html

Birdmans site needs to be in a sticky as it answers many questions asked here daily and goes beyond.

The compass is still there, better than ever.

That's open to debate. The opportunity to show the degrees and direction was always there in Navcore 7. The problem is, in order to implement it on the status bar, you give up the opportunity to show other useful information.

lissa5168 - Update to 8 through TomTom Home. It will install the correct version for your unit. I have been using 8 since home presented it. .

That was the problem John, Home was NOT showing the correct version and hadn't been for a few weeks. (This accidental incorrect release was confirmed by TomTom tech support.) No matter though because as of today, the correct version has been put up and is happily residing on my One XL. :)

Although I must agree with the previous poster that I miss the old compass. The old version was larger and had the letter of the direction you were going in the middle. Sure, this one still points in the direction, but you have to squint to see it, lol.

That was the problem John, Home was NOT showing the correct version and hadn't been for a few weeks. (This accidental incorrect release was confirmed by TomTom tech support.) No matter though because as of today, the correct version has been put up and is happily residing on my One XL. :)

Although I must agree with the previous poster that I miss the old compass. The old version was larger and had the letter of the direction you were going in the middle. Sure, this one still points in the direction, but you have to squint to see it, lol.

OK . . . I updated when I was presented with the option. All seems to be working well. Does this mean there is a chance I have the wrong version on my unit?

Here is the info in system info:
DeviceName=TomTom ONE XL
DeviceVersionHW=ONE XL
DeviceSerialNumber=<Removed>
DeviceUniqueID=<Removed>
RamDiskVersion=20080529
BootLoaderVersion=53026
LinuxVersion=190943
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=8010
ApplicationVersion=9369
UserLanguage=English US

The version re-released is exactly the same as the one available for a day and pulled. Go figure ...

John,

As long as you can still connect to TomTom Home without errors, you have the correct version. The wrong version (which was labeled One XL T yet released to those of us with One XL S for some reason) would tell you that you could not connect to Home because you had a corrupt installation or something like that.

If it's working on the TomTom and connecting to Home, you should be all good. AND I don't have to change my car icon through a 3rd party app anymore. Yay!

John,
If it's working on the TomTom and connecting to Home, you should be all good. AND I don't have to change my car icon through a 3rd party app anymore. Yay!

Take into consideration your map colors when choosing a car icon. I had a red car and the route was marked in red. That was not real visable at a glance. I have a yellow car now.

I just rolled back to App 7.167

I wasn't thrilled with 8.010 (or whatever version) at all. I liked the BIG compass with degrees listed in it, so I rolled back to a "backup" version App 7.167 and all is good again.

I have my BIG compass back, the multi-color POI icons, and don't need the cutesy little car changing icon.

All is good in the TomTom world again, and I really hate their web based updates, but it pays to backup alright.

I also had to input all of my "favorites" again...What a PITA, but I'm getting used to it by now. :D

App=7.167, GPS v1.21, Boot 5.3013, Map v715.1712, US represent!

I wasn't thrilled with 8.010 (or whatever version) at all. I liked the BIG compass with degrees listed in it, so I rolled back to a "backup" version App 7.167 and all is good again.

I have my BIG compass back, the multi-color POI icons, and don't need the cutesy little car changing icon.

All is good in the TomTom world again, and I really hate their web based updates, but it pays to backup alright.

I also had to input all of my "favorites" again...What a PITA, but I'm getting used to it by now. :D

App=7.167, GPS v1.21, Boot 5.3013, Map v715.1712, US represent!

You needn't have inputted your favourites again. Just get the file 'MapSettings.cfg' from a backup and put it into your map folder. That file stores your favourites, recent destinations and other stuff.

Do you need to arrive at a particular time?

Now, if I can just figure out what happened to this question "Pop up", after hitting "Navigate to", and picking my "fav".

It USED to ask, so I could choose "yes" or "no", and then enter a time, if I chose "yes". Very handy, if you had to be at a certain location, miles away, at a certain time.

I have cruised through TONS of preference settings, and can't see where to turn it "on" again. :mad:

New Owner with update question

Have XL S and found the Interstates are mislabelled. Toll ones are "free" while free ones are considered "Toll". Have corrected my maps a little at a time but spoke with TT Support today:

"You don't have the latest update." she said. "Please fax us a proff of purchase and we will let you download the latest map with full corrections."

My map version is 710.1563 which seems to be the latest on this thread. Am I correct? Should I go for her "latest update" and risk God knows what?

Thanks from the Orchard,

Gary fME

Last edited:
Now, if I can just figure out what happened to this question "Pop up", after hitting "Navigate to", and picking my "fav".

It USED to ask, so I could choose "yes" or "no", and then enter a time, if I chose "yes". Very handy, if you had to be at a certain location, miles away, at a certain time.

I have cruised through TONS of preference settings, and can't see where to turn it "on" again. :mad:

Think you are looking for preferences-->Status bar preferences-->second screen-->Show leeway to arrival time. Check it.

You rock dhn!

Think you are looking for preferences-->Status bar preferences-->second screen-->Show leeway to arrival time. Check it.

AWESOME! I was just sitting here kicking back a local dark lager, telling my daughter, "Daddy is trying to fix his TomTom, so just wait!" Getting rather irritated, because she is 4 and wants to play one of her games.

You just saved me a night of yelling and fighting.

Thank you sooooo much! I'd be happy to ship you some Upland "Bad Elmer's Porter", if it wasn't against some ATF laws. :D

8.010 shows for the XL-S now, not XL-T

I figured I'd give the 8.010 another shot, since the new 8.010 App update actually shows it for the XL S now, and no longer the XL T. (Whatever model that is???)

Thanks again dhn! We'll see how it behaves tomorrow on the way to work, and Sunday on the way to a remote ramp, at a lake hours away for some fishing.

You rock!

AWESOME! I was just sitting here kicking back a local dark lager, telling my daughter, "Daddy is trying to fix his TomTom, so just wait!" Getting rather irritated, because she is 4 and wants to play one of her games.

You just saved me a night of yelling and fighting.

Thank you sooooo much! I'd be happy to ship you some Upland "Bad Elmer's Porter", if it wasn't against some ATF laws. :D

Well, I could be a 'Rep Whore' as a former poster called people who asked for points but the "Bad Elmer's Porter" sounds more intriguing! :D :D

Anyway, seriously, glad to help. The menu system does tend to be obtuse at times, doesn't it?

Back from vacations, then got the 8.01, Lost my compass, what kinda compass is this, I like my big one showing destination direction. Can't sync anymore :mad: I look at best buy and they stop selling XLS not a good news. Now can't sync anymore I guess it is the end of the XLS. By the way car Icon stay the same what ever I choose. Only advantage is the icons that look better, big deal.:eek:

Teach you to go on vacation! :eek:

Yeah, the compass, such as it is, is only pointing north in Navcore 8.010. Pretty crappy and not the functionality that there was in N7.

The poi icons are now black & white. Some like them, many do not.

Ask a Question