why does the UK not get the deals the US gets?

Market share and competition.

Garmin & Google offer lifetime maps in the USA. And Tomtom has a much lower market share in the USA so it has to price more aggressively.

Hi,

but in the UK TomTom is the market leader at the moment so here the other companies have to offer those special promotions with an aggressive price policy to gain a higher market share. In Europe it is the like in the US just with switched roles.

Regards
Lars.

Yes but thats the point, Garmin is market leader in the US and still gives the same deals to the US as to the UK. Tomtom feels no need to offer value unless back is to the wall.

Hi,

as we are all no TT employees we cannot give you any further answer to that question as we don't know about TT's internal policy.

And I doubt that any TT employee will answer you this question with the complete truth as no company will ever publish their internal policy.

We'll just have to take it as it is, maybe ask TT for some other ways of promotion for users needing all those map updates or having many devices in their possession for getting discounts. Maybe if Garmin and other brands gain some market share from TT they'll give us Europeans lifetime maps as well but I fear that'll take some time.

Regards
Lars.

For over a year before USA customers could get yearly map subscriptions, the European market had them. So, USA customers were still paying about $100 for ONE update while Europeans were paying about half that for FOUR updates.

What comes around goes around ......... :cool:

yes i have no doubt that its only a matter of time until these services become standard across the board. Its in everyones interest for traffic especially that as many users are sending live information as possible.

Ask a Question