What do I need to be a happy TT camper?

Hi guys,
I'm hoping that I can explain what kit I have and what I hope to do and you can then tell me exactly what else I need to buy to make my Tom Tom life complete.
I use a Mac Mini Aluminium computer running Snow Leopard.
I have just received a parcel from eBay containing a Tom Tom Go 630 unit, in-car charger, screen mount and a dummy SD card in the slot. Nothing else. This is exactly what I was expecting because the seller was very careful to make sure that I knew what i was buying.
I have since ordered a mains charger and a desk dock unit with USB lead to connect unit to Computer. Those last 2 should arrive by the middle of next week or sooner.
Please note that I do not have any software except for whatever is needed to make the Tom Tom Go 630 T work which it does perfectly.

I would like to be able to connect the Tom Tom unit to my Mac PC in order to add voices, POIs, Safety camera info etc. I would also like to remove all maps except the map of the UK.

Any info as to what I need to make my life complete will be gratefully accepted but if all you can do is help with my Tom Tom question, that will also be received with heartfelt thanks.
Steve

Put TomTom Home software on your Mac as this is used for updates.
Make a full backup of the device the macs memory, don't rely upon Home for a backup as its too unreliable.
Load up some third party POI files of categories you will find handy, don't go mad installing all of them as there is a limit of 169 custom POI categories.
As put in another reply, you can't split your map up - Mike

Hi Mike,
I'm a little unsure what "Make a full backup of the device the macs memory," means but I'm guessing it means to make a full back up of what is on the TT 630 and save it on my Mac's hard drive. If that's correct, do you know of a tutorial that will walk me through it.

Cheers,
Steve

Yes I mean you have to copy everything from the TomTom to the hard drive in the mac.

Open whatever application you use on the mac to view files and folders.

Connect the Go and switch it on, answer Yes to the question about connecting to the computer.

After a few seconds a new drive will appear with the words TomTom next to it, open this drive letter.

Select all files and folders and copy them to a single location on the Mac (put them all in a single folder) - Mike

Once you've done that backup, you can then download Home from TomTom here. The version for the Mac is on the right.
(You don't need to worry about the ".Net" stuff - that's a Microsoft issue).

Home will probably suggest you make a backup using that, but there's no need if you have made the complete "copy and paste" backup described earlier.

Next, you can use the "Update my Go" to see what's available to download.

Thanks guys.
I have already installed the Mac version of Home but I can't go any further until my USB lead arrives. I have bought a home charging lead and a desk dock with USB lead from eBay but they probably won't arrive here until Tuesday or Wednesday at the earliest.

dhn ... Excellent link. Thank you for posting it.

About this "Updating" malarkey. That's the application rather than the maps. Is it actually worth doing?
I ask because I have read quite a few instances of folk complaining that their device is now just a brick after doing an update. I mean to say, if the Tom Tom device is working correctly, what is the possible plus side of doing an update?

Cheers,
Steve

What version is installed to your devce, you can find this by switching the unit on, tap the sat strength meter (lower right) followed by the version box on the right, if its running Navcore 8,351 then its got the latest Navcore software installed - Mike

Mike, after following your instructions, it looks like I have version 8.016
Unless you plan to use your unit for Bluetooth connected phone calls, you might well want to update to the last level, 8.351. It offers several benefits over 8.016 (e.g., use of >2GB SD cards).

Hi again,
The dock doofah arrived this morning so I'll crack on with the update later. It seems to be updating some maps that is causing the problem, not the actual Tom Tom software.
Ooopsie.

Cheers,
Steve

Steve, The main issue with the new maps is there size as they are too large to fit the internal storage space on the device, TomTom decided to issue zonal maps to overcome this which is OK if you are only travelling in specific regions but doesn't cover the smae area as the map supplied on the device.

To ovecome this and get the full size map you will need a 4GB SDHC card as well as the latest version of sofware.
Update the device to the latest Navcore and make another full back up.
Copy your full backup to the memory card then use Home to install the new map straight to the memory card, this way you get the full map rather than a zonal version - Mike

Hi again.
The Tom Tom dock with USB lead to connect to a PC arrived this morning and, after a bit of a kerfuffle, 8.351 is now installed on my Tom Tom Go 630.
I say there was a kerfuffle but only because I decided to keep all the Tom Tom stuff off the Mac and keep it all on a Windows 7 laptop instead.
I downloaded the Windows version of "Home" to the lappy and then downloaded and installed everything that was available except for the latest maps. It was only while that was running that I remembered that I should have done a full back up to my laptop hard drive first.
I'll do that next.

Thanks for all the help,
Steve

Mike .... Your last post wasn't visible when I posted my last message. I had left the forum web page as it was when I went off to do something else and then I just "Replied". Your post only showed up when the page updated itself with my post.

Anywho, I'll have a go at following the instructions to do a full back-up of the device to the PC rather than using the "Home" version.
If you hear loud bangs and swearing, that'll be me, lol

While I'm here, one thing that's confusing me is the need for a separate charging lead to charge the battery in my Go 630.
Everywhere I look I see folk saying that the USB lead from device (or dock) to the PC doesn't charge the device and that a proper charge lead with UK 3-pin plug is needed.
On the other hand, I'm sat here with my Tom Tom Go 630 in its dock and connected to the PC with the "Charging" light lit up for all to see.
I ain't saying that other folk are wrong but THIS particular device connected to THIS particular laptop would appear to be charging.

Cheers,
Steve

Can I just confirm something?
I have got to the stage where I have copied all the files from the Tom Tom Go 630 into a folder named "TT backup from new" which is on my "C" drive. I have stuck an empty 4gb SD card in the slot.
Is it correct that I should now "Paste" all of the files that I copied from the Tom Tom's internal memory (after the update) to the SD card and only THEN upgrade the maps?

Cheers,
Steve

In a word YES

Maintain the folder and file structure of what you put on the SDHC card so it looks the same as the contents on the device, don't just copy the back up folder across, you need to copy the contents of the back up folder to the memory card - Mike

Update .....
Houston .... We have a problem.
I had already done an update of everything except the Western Europe maps (nearly 2 gb) .... I then copied all the files on the TT Go and saved them in a folder on my "C" drive. I then pasted the same thing on to a 4gb card inserted in the TT Go.

I then started the 2 hour download of the maps.
My Tom Tom HOME screen showed the progress of the download and when it was complete, it moved to the next line down which was "Install to memory card" or words like that.
The progress bar again showed the files being sent over to the SD card.
After the map files finished being sent to the memory card a message popped up on screen (red triangle with a white !) saying, "An error has occured" .... Within the error message box it also says, "This file does not exist :G:\Western_Europe\mapSettings.cfg

Then there is a link to ..... Click here for further support for Tom Tome Home errors.

There is also a "Show details" button but the file there is so big that I doubt it will fit on these pages.

Any help gratefully accepted.
Steve

ps ... Is swearing rather loudly allowed?

Put the car in the device and fire it up, tap the sat strength meter followed by the version box, what map is showing as selected in use? If its V870 then its the new one.
The MapSettings.cfg file contains certain settings about your preferences such as recent destinations and Home location as well as POI settings, it is created when the device boots up, if Home doesn't see the file on the memory card it throws a fit as it tries to maintain the MapSettings file during updates, in this case the file was never created, its no big deal though - Mike

I think I'm in deep doo doo now.
With the card in the device (where it has always been since before the map download) and the device either in my hand or in the dock and connected to a windows laptop, only a splash screen can be seen.
Clicking the screen anywhere makes no difference.
Removing the card makes no difference.
Pressing the OFF button makes no difference.
Holding the OFF button down for 30 seconds makes no difference.

So basically I can't turn it off and I can't see anything except a tropical beach and a palm tree.

Any ideas??
Steve

Ask a Question