Vote for your most wanted new features here

New Item

I would add to this list - support for multiple TomTom's with 1 email address. I now have 3 and would prefer the simplicity of using 1 account to maintain them.

You can use anything at all as long as the format is in the e-mail format, it certainly doesn't need to be an active or actual e-mail address, (e-mail address removed) would be quite acceptable as far as TomTom Home is concerned. As long as each device has its own unique address Home will support multiple devices from a single PC - Mike

Well, as long as they don't try to email me - I guess that's ok. Gets tough remembering fake email addresses, let alone the actual ones. :)

Once you connect the TomTom to your PC and start up the Home software it will show you what the e-mail address associated with the device is so there is nothing to remember, if you really need to print the e-mail address on to a label and stick it on the device but its not necessary IMHO - Mike

Hmmmm.....

...not sure if anybody mentioned it yet, but I would love to see some Linux support.

TomTom's refusal to support their Linux users has prompted me start an online petition. I hope they incorporte this into their HOME software ASAP. :D

My 2 ?...

• customizeable status bar (everything else can be changed-- would love the ability to change its color to match night or custom map colors... perhaps also the ability to resize its thickness to be able to make it smaller)
  • map detail that remains at chosen zoom level and shows the scale
  • vocalize that directions are recalculating
  • vocalize which side of street destination is on
  • time of day and # of people info for HOV lanes
  • don't have legal disclaimer each time device is turned on

All, I updated the vote list with recent votes.

Also, I removed the following votes:
- screen which doesn't wash out in sunlight. Updated screen availalbe on the GO x50 in Europe, and XXL 540S in North America
- crowdsource submission of traffic/speedtrap incidents - available on all LIVE devices

I also had a few comments/questions:

a0817a081777, aboud50, acrider, bootmec, camel, enovy, fzwillie, gerhard, jackspm, jeffbnz, mamba, mystery, ninn, peters, random_fruit, ryderman, spacecowboy, steelgtr, wp205, yodakrawler: please revote per the ground rules, your original vote was within first 15 days of your first post

madkiwi
- "auto shutdown must work properly" (go 720) - can you elaborate, I am unable to reproduce on my 720
- user changeable icons - already possible here. Are you asking for a UI-based approach?

mcat0
- IQroutes is Tomtom's "learn mode", however you may want to vote for this bug on the bug list

krellan
- a setting to disable 2d autozoom is available on GO models
- show next two turns already happens when turns are closely spaced
- professional docking station - available on the I-90
- I added your "keep to highway" vote on the bug list

spook45
- Exit POI's similar to Magellan's setting - can you elaborate, as I'm unfamiliar with Magellans?

shadowfax
- can you specify which Nokia carkit? Tomtom is compatible with most carkits that support a2dp
- multiple waypoints are available on all models except for the 125, 130, and one 3rd edition

tracker
- auto zoom can be disabled on Tomtom GO models

I also updated my own votes adding:
- digital compass 2
- auto-clear route 3
- categorize restaurants by cuisine 4
- speak house number of destination 3

Last edited:
All, I updated the vote list with recent votes.

krellan

- a setting to disable 2d autozoom is available on GO models
- show next two turns already happens when turns are closely spaced
- professional docking station - available on the I-90
- I added your "keep to highway" vote on the bug list

Disable unwanted 2D autozoom = I have a TomTom 730T. Is this considered one of the "Go" models?

Show next two turns = TomTom's idea of "closely spaced" is rare enough that I almost never get to see this. It's nowhere near prevalent enough to be useful.

I am sorry, but only being able to see one turn ahead is NOT SUFFICIENT FOR REAL-WORLD USE. I got spun around a few times in Berkeley, CA just yesterday, because the TomTom wouldn't tell me where to go next, in enough time to be useful!

This makes the real-time TomTom navigation nearly USELESS in a real-world, crowded, city situation. At a minimum, it should show you the next two maneuvers. Maybe have an option to show you three! The TomTom already knows this information, it has it plotted out in memory, it just chooses to hide this from the user. Very frustrating!

Sometimes, you need to be in a certain lane to make a maneuver. The TomTom won't tell you this, because 99% of the time, it only lets you "see" ahead one maneuver at a time. So, if you don't know the area well, you will often be in the wrong lane, and miss your turn as a result.

What's more, when on a long road, many road segments will show up in the TomTom as multiple maneuvers, even though it's all the same road, and the driver need not take any action. This masks the ability of the driver to see truly what the next maneuver will be, though. For example, it will tell me to take I-880 north, then take I-880 north, then take I-880 north, then take the exit. Notice all the duplicates. For 75% of my trip, the TomTom is just uselessly telling me to stay on the same freeway. The display won't switch from "Take I-880 north" to "Take the exit" until I'm at point-blank range, by then it is almost too late and I've nearly missed the exit!

I'm constantly having to hit the lower right corner, then bring up the "Show route as text" feature, then quickly memorize that.

This is a huge usability impairment, and I hope that TomTom addresses this, especially considering all the competition a dedicated GPS unit faces from things like iPhone software apps these days. Usability is really the only advantage a dedicated GPS has. If TomTom isn't careful, they will squander this....

The idiea is to look at the direction arrow on the screen as well as the distance showing to the next turn. Those two visual cues along with ALG where available and the audible cues of the voice usually are sufficient to let the driver know what lane (or lanes) are appropriate to be in, for how long, what direction the next turn is going to be.

As well, some prefer 2D view as it allows them to absorb the information better.

It's not a perfect system by any means, don't get me wrong. But a little practice with the TomTom normally gets a user comfortable in the ability to digest the information.

Disable unwanted 2D autozoom = I have a TomTom 730T. Is this considered one of the "Go" models?

Yes the 730T is a GO model. In preferences, there should be "autozoom preferences", where you can disable this setting.

Yes the 730T is a GO model. In preferences, there should be "autozoom preferences", where you can disable this setting.

Preferences, Automatic Zooming, Automatic zooming in Driving View = set to "Disable"

And it still zooms in/out from time to time!

*Shrug*

Preferences, Automatic Zooming, Automatic zooming in Driving View = set to "Disable"

And it still zooms in/out from time to time!

*Shrug*

I just did a few route demos and my 930 didn't autozoom anywhere. Do you have a specific location where it always happens? Sounds like something for the bug list.

The idiea is to look at the direction arrow on the screen as well as the distance showing to the next turn.

Would be great, if I could see them!

The problem is that there will oftentimes be MORE THAN ONE turn required, in rapid succession. The TomTom will only show me these visual cues for THE FIRST of these.

Those two visual cues along with ALG where available and the audible cues of the voice usually are sufficient to let the driver know what lane (or lanes) are appropriate to be in, for how long, what direction the next turn is going to be.

I find that ALG is intended more for freeways, not city streets.

The full-screen sketches of lanes, with ALG, are actually *less* helpful than the scrolling maps, because those sketches abstract away the shapes of the nearby roads. The full-screen sketches seem to pop up at the worst possible times, right when I'd much rather see the roads near me on the scrolling map. I have disabled ALG on my TomTom:

https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...urning-off-interchange-lane-arrow-screen.html

As well, some prefer 2D view as it allows them to absorb the information better.

I will try the 2D view. At any rate, it will be a change from the usual 3D view.

It's not a perfect system by any means, don't get me wrong. But a little practice with the TomTom normally gets a user comfortable in the ability to digest the information.

I've been practicing for almost a year, as evidenced by my Clear Channel Traffic subscription about to expire (that's another rant for another thread, though)....

I just did a few route demos and my 930 didn't autozoom anywhere. Do you have a specific location where it always happens? Sounds like something for the bug list.

I'll watch for it the next time it happens.

Perhaps the autozoom setting is one of those "loose settings" that goes away whenever the TomTom reboots itself. There's a few "loose settings" in the TomTom, perhaps this is also a bug. It would be nice for the TomTom to memorize everything.

Here's 2 "loose settings" that come to mind:

* Muting the sound
* Adding the "Call..." button to the Quick Menu

When Tomtom crash-reboots, it often loses lots of preferences changes since the last computer connection. It also loses some mapshares and your most recent destination. Not all settings are committed to flash ram until right before a computer connection is attempted. Normally this wouldn't be a problem except that if you're on app 8.351 the app crashes a lot (8.302 is more stable). So once all preferences are to your liking, connect to your computer, just to "commit" the settings to flash.

And whenever you run "Operate my GO", a lot of preferences also get reset. I've already emailed Tomtom and whined about that one, but others have posted that it's better on new models so maybe we're just stuck with old buggy software.

Last edited:
When Tomtom crash-reboots, it often loses lots of preferences changes since the last computer connection. It also loses some mapshares and your most recent destination. Not all settings are committed to flash ram until right before a computer connection is attempted. Normally this wouldn't be a problem except that if you're on app 8.351 the app crashes a lot (8.302 is more stable). So once all preferences are to your liking, connect to your computer, just to "commit" the settings to flash.

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering why my TomTom keeps getting amnesia regarding its settings. When I reach a stable setting I'm happy with, I'll know to sync it to the computer then.

In order to fix problems with Bluetooth, I downgraded from 8.351 to 8.302. So, I'm now running 8.302.

When those full screen images pop up on the screen (called Reality View) just tap the screen and they go away.

Without a doubt -

The ability to disable the auto-zoom (not the zoom-at-turn but the zoom-in a few seconds after zooming out).

That isn't really a feature so much as the removal of a feature (or control over on/off).

A new feature, though, would be more detail while zoomed out! When I zoom out, too many roads vanish!

I'll put in a vote for proper Route planning before hand via Tom Tom Home or Google Maps.
I want to be able to choose my route, and Whicb roads I drive without setting multiple via waypoints.

If I have selected a road to drive, I want the GPS unit to just accept that and not re calculate the routing everytime that itinerary is activated on the GPS

Follow exactly a Google map

Invariably, the TomTom routes are not the best route. I would like to be able to transfer a Google map and have the TomTom follow it exactly without having to crank in dozens of waypoints to force a route. Routes can be transferred using Tyre (itn files) but the TomTom will not necessarily follow the same routing between stops.

Ask a Question