Vote for your most wanted new features here

so i am new here and seen this page and wanted to throw something out there. i would like the ability to have a tomtom track me when i am going on dirt roads and offroad trails. like a start button and then a stop button and a the ability to name and save that so i could look it up later.

I would like to see better blue tooth support so I can use my older earpiece and how about using the route planner and sending it to your gps so we dont have to use other means? i.e. tyre/Google maps, etc
More women computer voices?
Foul-mouthed dirty computer women voices?

Like i go to make a left and i hear "you stupid F**king Pr***. I said RIGHT!!!

* Screen lock function, to avoid accidental keypresses when using the GPS in a non-driving situation (for example, putting it in your pocket while walking).

* Debouncing of keypresses on screen, to avoid "typos" when trying to use the GPS on a bouncy road and accidentally hitting things with your nearby fingers

* Display altitude!

* In 2D display mode, disable auto-zoom

* In 2D display mode, allow panning around the screen by dragging and dropping fingers

* More Favorite locations! The limit of 32 is just way too small.

* Show 2 upcoming maneuvers on screen, not just 1. This will help when driving through unfamiliar areas and having to quickly make a lot of turns.

* Group together highway segments that are on the same stretch of road, so the user sees a total 50-mile segment, for example, instead of five different 10-mile segments on the same freeway. The "Disable keep left" function doesn't quite work all the time.

* Scrub your data. In the Bay Area, for example, there's "I-880 NB", "I-880 Northbound", "North I-880", and so on. All refer to the same road. Different segments have slightly different spellings, and this is sloppy.

* Show the frequency that RDS-TMC traffic data is tuned to

* Show the subscription renewal date of the user's current RDS-TMC subscription (if this data is available)

* For the "thermometer" traffic column, please color-code the thermometer by congestion level (red, yellow, green), instead of treating congestion as an incident with a single icon

* Build in a compass, like the iPhone, to avoid the problem of the GPS not knowing what direction you are facing when standing still (or powering up the GPS for the first time).

* Real docking station available, for professional car installers to use. It would hook into the car's already existing FM antenna (for RDS-TMC traffic, and FM transmitter of voice), and the car's 12V power, and perhaps an external GPS antenna up on the car's roof, and no cable clutter at all (everything would be behind the dash).

Ok, I read through the nine pages of postings and did not see these requested:

1. The ability to delete 'recent destinations' by line instead of 'ALL'.
2. Auto Zoom in and Zoom out set by distance. Similar to HP iPAQ 310. Zoom out to 2D map with top facing north if X miles (settable) from next manuver.
3. Exit POI's similar to Magellan's setting
4. Ability to save route to location to either a favorite or POI location directly from a UI icon.

most wanted feature

Allow routes to be laid out on Tom Tom Home as MS Streets and Trips, and then imported into the Tom Tom device. Add an "AVOID Ferry" option.

When searching for poi, poi results should contain directional information relative to the reference point. For example, looking for gas stations near you. The list should have something like:

1 Mile (East) - Chevron
1 Mile (West) - 76
2 Mile (North-West) - Chevron

This way, it's easier to select a poi that's in the direction that you're going.

There seems to be no way to AVOID FERRY on the routes. The device is bound to use a ferry even if it results in more miles and time. Telling it to avoid one ferry results in it seeking another. If a Google Map route could be downloaded, it would solve a ton of problems.
Alden

TomTom wish list

I would like to see a "learn mode" on the TomTom. For some reason the TomTom likes to avoid toll roads. If I select Niagara Falls, it often chooses the busiest and most congested routes (highway 400, to 401, to 427 - absolute worst, then the QEW). It avoids the 407 toll road which is the probably the fastest and least stressful way of getting to Niagara. This would be a great feature as well as reasonable map update costs.

In Planning Preferences, you can set it to never avoid toll roads with the latest application and maps (those that have IQ routing)

Auto silence near home

I would like a feature to turn the sound off automatically when I'm near home and on automatically when I further away.

I use my Go 740 every day to drive to and from appointments, and each day I have two to four different destinations. I know the roads round where I live really well, and commonly turn the sound on when I arrive near my destination, and back off when I am on a known route home.

I've been impressed by this website this evening: it's the first I found with observations about Bluetooth Handsfree bugs, and I've gone 'back' to navcore_8.310.9760 which I hope will solve the problem. (See this link for details)

since i'm from canada i'll say

lane guide assistance in canada - 5

Preference for browse mode while navigating (tapping will move the map rather than opening a menu) - 5

vocalize which side of street destination is on - 4

i want the compass the way it used to be.......... when you have an option to point it where you're heading to. - 5

i want a specific address on point of interest. now we just see street names.

this too......... Screen lock function, to avoid accidental keypresses when using the GPS in a non-driving situation (for example, putting it in your pocket while walking). - 5

Turn List

Please...

Direst access to turn list from main map page. Garmin does this at the top of the screen on the staus bar of the next turn. I use this all the time!

bob

1. There is no auto on functionality for any TomTom models.

2. I believe you start a call and a new volume slider appears for you to make adjustments.

Thanks. Shame about 1. I have ignition fed power permanently wired to the cradle so would be nice to have it switch on automatically when I either plug it into the cradle (with ignition on) or switch ignition on when already docked. Not a big pain but would save leaning and feeling for the button on top. I'm all for ease of use and cannot understand why it is not implemented.

probably mentioned before but if not, thE car icon should have an option to show direction, having a compass point north on the bottom without a grid is pretty worthless and I really don't understand why tom tom decided to remove the option of having the companss point to the direction we are headed, therefore;

1) compass heading in the car icon should be an option

2) a an icon for our location that is a comass, with two arrows, the smaller pointing north, the larger would be our heading

my friends garmin anounces house number when you get close, this is a very important feature for sales men like myself

once I type in the address I forget the house number and have to look up to see where I;m going, would be much better if the unit had an option to announce address on arrival

Augmented Reality Version

Would be great to see an augmented reality version of the iPhone app. -Really cool technology.

By adding a virtual layer with POI, route maps, etc to the layer created by the camera on the iPhone a TomTom could really show some great data... and increase the usability by quite a large factor.

Auto switch on.

Thanks. Shame about 1. I have ignition fed power permanently wired to the cradle so would be nice to have it switch on automatically when I either plug it into the cradle (with ignition on) or switch ignition on when already docked. Not a big pain but would save leaning and feeling for the button on top. I'm all for ease of use and cannot understand why it is not implemented.

I use ny TT on motorcycle, and for me this is a must have. It'll save me taking the devise out of it's water profe case, turn it on and put it back in. and that is every time I switch off the bike.

My vote.

5- Adjust volume on line out.
5- Auto on/off with external power connection.

PS. I think this is a great user forum to tell TOMTOM what is important to us. and thanks MVI for doing that.

Ask a Question