Voices support and languages

TomTom Model(s)
GO LIVE 825 Europe
Hello,

I have just purchased a GO LIVE 825 Europe as a surprise Xmas present for my wife. She would like to have Yoda's voice. I have two questions:

1.- Apparently, it is not yet possible to install these voices in the GO LIVE 825 Europe. I would like to know whether or not this information is correct and when do you plan to have the Star Wars voices available for the GO LIVE 825.

2.- If I purchase a voice in the Luxembourgian TomTom site, the samples are in French. The question is, will the voices also be available in English or should I purchase them from the UK site?

Best regards,

Miro

mirix.......

First of all, this is NOT an official forum of TomTom, just users such as yourself. As such, we have no idea what TomTom plans hardware or software wise.

That said, you should be able to purchase NON_COMPUTER voices for your device and install them. Once you have the MyTomTom desktop application installed (get it at tomtom.com/getstarted) and the unit connected, an additional menu item on the desktop icon is 'Add Community Content'. One choice is 'voices' and that's where you have the opportunity to browse on your computer fopr the requisite files and install them.

For your second question, just be careful.......forums are full of people buying units in one country, attempting to use them in another and finding they can NOT get computer voices in the language of the second country.

I kinow you are not asking about computer voices but just don't assume anything......

No, in fact, I cannot add any voices or anything. MyTomTom opens a website with community content (but not a file browser). If I choose something from the website, it tries to install it through TomTom HOME. However, TomTom HOME does not recognise my device. MyTomTom does, but the only operation available at the moment seems to be updating.

Forget about Home. It will not work with your device. You MUST use MyTomTom. When you select Add Community Content in the desktop icon, it does open a page in your browser but you do the searching for voices by clicking the 'browse' button and you look for the required files on YOUR computer.

You can also try TomTom's Content Transfer Application found here:
http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14081/?locale=en_GB

OK. Thank you. I will try that. A related question: I have tried with Windows XP and Linux but they do not mount the device as an external drive. Windows does not recognise it at all and Linux recognises it as a USB wireless card and connects through it... I guess the SD card is locked or something. Any ideas?

This model will not work on Linux and it will not show as a removable drive in Windows since the user has no access to the file system on it.

Look under Network Connections and you'll see the unit listed, more than likely.

OK. If it is under Network Connections, it would be the same for Linux and Windows. But this means, I cannot access the SD of the device at all, right?

That is correct. If you use the Manage Content option in the web page's MyTomTom icon, it should show the size of the files on it, but NOT the contents of the files.

OK. I have succeed at installing community voices. Thanks a million! My wife will be happy that the force may be with her. Now I will try the official voices.

I did everything with Windows XP within VirtualBox, because MyTomTom does not appear to be supported by Wine at the moment. However, TomTomHome runs perfectly in Wine.

OK. If it is under Network Connections, it would be the same for Linux and Windows. But this means, I cannot access the SD of the device at all, right?

You don't get full access to copy /paste etc. like you are used to doing.
But you ARE able to add and remove POIs, voices, warning sounds, start-up screens etc. using the MyTomTom interface.

You don't get the choice of where to put them (internal memory or SD card), but the way it works now is that the SD card is treated as just an extension to the main memory, so if you try to install a new map and there isn't enough room on the internal memory, it just gets directed onto the SD card.

Similarly, if you add a POI file, you won't really know where it has been put (unless you closely examine the free space graphs) but it is now available for use on ANY map you have got installed (that's new,,,)

Ask a Question