GO 910 Computer Voices now Unsupported

After updating my TomTom home I can no longer download computer voices. The option is grayed out, and when I click on it it tells me I cannot select this option because they are not supported by my device. I know my device supports them, as I use them now. Any thoughts?

Have you tried a reset on your unit? Do you have an Explorer backup? When you look at the contents using Explorer, do you see a Loquendo folder?

What is your application and map level? (tap the satellite bars to see the application version installed. Tap the version numberto see the map and version installed).

If you view the device with Windows Explorer make sure the folder is named "LoquendoTTS" (without the "") if its all lower case I can still assist to fix the issue but TT Home had a nasty habit of ruining the LoquendoTTS folder upper/ lower case file names and folder structure - Assuming you have got a LoquendoTTS folder right click it and select "Properties" it should be around 4GB in size! - Mike

I have performed a reset. Today it locked up on me four times.

When plugging it in today to check for the folder, Windows told me there were errors on the drive that needed to be fixed. (I assume that is the majority of the problem now, but it didn't tell me there was a problem with it yesterday.) After telling it to scan and fix, it found some errors, corrected them, and placed some orphan files in two 'FOUND.000' and 'FOUND.001' folders. There are approximately 20 files in each folder, and each file is around 80k in size.

The LoquendoTTS folder is there, with correct capitalization. However it is only 1.4 gigs in size.

I have no backup to restore it to, and my discs that it came with are god knows where. I bought it three years ago, or there abouts.

The app version is 7.903 (9183/04301). The GPS is v1.21, the Boot is 1.0012, and my map is North_America v825.2158.

Additionally to my not being able to download computer voices and it freezing four times today, the battery does not seem to want to hold a charge any longer. After being left on the charge cradle last night, when I took it off this morning I got the red low battery notification right away. With it plugged in now and using the PC interface, it is showing that it is constantly charging and has done so for many hours now. I'll let it charge again overnight... perhaps a cable was kicked or not plugged in tightly last night (I have to really reach now to give the device the benefit of the doubt)

I realize that I may have a lost cause on my hands, especially with the battery issue, but I would like to make it better if possible. My TomTom has been very reliable up until these last few days.

Don't waste any time looking for disks the 910 might have been supplied with as there weren't any in the box, for quite some time TomTom have relied upon the user to make a full back up of the device as soon as they get it home, without the back up things are a little difficult.

The 910 used an early TTS system which you cannot download voices for (they are around 400MB each), newer files from the x20/ x30 and x40 devices will not work with the 910.

As for the battery, the device will be getting ready for a new battery due to its age, they can be swapped out but its not an easy job, the battery was the first thing they fitted before adding every other component around it, you have to strip the device to get the cell out.

I would make a full backup of the device in its current state, anything is better than nothing, once you have this copy on the PC we can look at addressing the issues with the software - Mike

I have completed making a backup of what is currently on there.

Also, it seems to be holding a charge better now.

Last edited:
Use Windows Explorer to view the contents of the device, when you first click the drive letter associated with the 910 you will see a list of folders and files, delete the files in the root of the device DO NOT delete any folders or files within folders.

Connect the device to TomTom Home and update the device, this will download the latest application and install it to the device, once complete give the device a try - Mike

Ok, I followed your instructions and my device seems to be working now. It hasn't locked up anyways.

So, what it boils down to is I have an old device that supports the old computer voices, the old Live services, music and audiobooks... etc. Basically all I can do with it now is real voice directions and map updates, yes? I know my device plays audiobooks and .mp3s... my Audible .aa files work fine as do my music files, but all of the above options are grayed out and when clicked on Home tells me my device does not support them.

The only things that are not grayed out are real voice directions, points of interest, color schemes, sound/Warning sounds, and map overlays. I used to be able to click on and download everything... but that was a year or so ago. Is this a subtle way TomTom is telling me to upgrade my device?

The Text To Speech voices have never been usable via the PC Home application, they should be available for use with the device not connected to the PC i.e. while in use in the car - Mike

Yeah, I understand that using my device through the PC has limitations, but all of the above is stuff I cannot use because my device has been deemed incompatible, and I know I can use most of it. The voices have been explained to me... they switched to new computer voices and my device is indeed compatible with them. What about everything else?

same issue...

I'm having the same issue that the TTS voices no longer work in my 910. Is there any solution ?

thanks
Bruce

Have a read through the above replys that I have given and come back with some answers, to start with reset the device using a paperclip/ pin in the reset hole on the underside of the device (next to the multiway connector).
If that fails to fix it I want to know what size the "LoquendoTTS" folder is and is it named exactly like the way I have typed it, it must be "LoquendoTTS" and not "loquendotts" - Mike

I followed your instructions and reset the device without success. The LoquendoTTS folder is 4.07 GB and appears to be spelled and capitalized correctly. Like others this worked fine when I bought the device and used older versions of home. I don't always try to add voices so I don't know where it got greyed out, but in the most current version of Home (2.7.0.1785) it states that my device doesn't support computer voices. Of course that is not true because the voice I use now is a computer voice that works fine. It's not a huge problem since the voice I have works; I just wonder what other functions are silently disabling themselves as I update.

It isn't possible to use a computer voice while the device is connected to the computer via Home, if the TTS voice is working with the device in the car then you have nothing to worry about - Mke

It isn't possible to use a computer voice while the device is connected to the computer via Home, if the TTS voice is working with the device in the car then you have nothing to worry about - Mke

That's not the issue here, however. I'm trying to browse/add new voices from Home, not operate my device. When I select the icon to add new voices, two choices are presented: real voices and computer voices. Computer voices are grayed out because my device does not support them.

I hope this makes the issue more clear:this is a TomTom Home menu item that clearly used to work because the feature is currently in use on my device, but now I am unable to access the menu item because my device supposedly doesn't support computer voices.

If you delete Home and dl and reinstall a lower version from here, does that bring back the functionality to add computer voices?

The 910 uses LoquendoTTS version 6,7 and possibly 6,8 these files have never been downloadable using Home, the computer voices you see in Home are later versions of LoquendoTTS which will not work on your 910 they are only for the x20. x30 and x40 devices, they are greyed out because they are not intended for your hardware so nothing is wrong - Mike

Ask a Question