voices download

Hi. Today I have purchased US map which I've downloaded and installed. How can I check whether the voices have also been installed - this is the first time I've installed new maps. Any help appreciated. Thanx in advance.

to check to see if your voices are working tap the screen then change preferences then change voice select the voice you want and hit test this should let you know if you have new voices installed

Voice files are nothing to do with a map, some maps (device dependent) contain speech recognition files but thats all, what device and what voice are you trying to put on the unit - Mike

Hello. The device is tomtom ONE - the map is US - & I selected 'Jane' for the voice. I've checked the SD card & can't see any files that look as though they may be voice files. My daughter bought a map 2 years ago which she installed & when they got to USA they found they didn't have a voice - hence the reason for me trying to check this out.

With the card in the device switch it on and go to change preferences/ manage voice/ switch voice (it might be just change preferences/ switch voice depending upon which One you have got. Scroll through the list of available voices on the device, when it asks about only display voices in your current langauge answer NO so it offers the full list, when you locate "jane" hit "Test" to listen to the voice follwed by select to make that the default voice the device will use - Mike

When i switch on the device with the card in, I can't access anything. Presumably this is because the card has US on it and I am in UK. Just get a red cross thru image of a sd card.

For your model, not only the map has to be on the card but so does the application.

(this is assuming the US map folder is on the sd card)

Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing. Now, DOUBLE CHECK that you do indeed have a backup on your computer.

Once done, delete everything from internal.

Then, with the card in the unit, connect to Home. It should offer an application. Accept it, install it. Disconnect the unit properly from Home. Use Home's Device Disconnect icon.

Shut down Home. Make sure it is not running in the background in the notification area.

Connect to the computer again without Home running and look at the contents of the card. Does it show a bunch more stuff than just the map folder? If so, disconnect from the computer properly and restart. You should have the voices available.

(As an aside, if all is working, you can restore your backup to the unit (not card). When you want the UK map, just start without the sd card in it.)

Ask a Question