Voice Recognition

TomTom Model(s)
The manual says that there should be Voice Recognition but I have a Canadian model and it doesn't seem to have that feature. Anyone have any news on this?

Nathan...

Not sure why they would leave it off the NA version but the manual does give me the impression that it wasn't working all that well so they were just limiting what it can do until they perfect it.

If another nav comes out with it in NA then I am sure it will be added.

Nathan...

North American Voice Recognition Issue

It was originally planned to be included with the 720 but they ran into last minute issues with the various accents in the USA (southern, Boston, etc). They are working on those issues and it will be available as a firmware upgrade in the future.

I'm sure that strategically they will wait until after the 920 is released so that they can lure more buyers to the 920's for that feature then release the update to 720 users later on.

Am I correct in understanding that the 920 is just a hard drive model? If so with 8gig SD cards it seems a bit foolish unless the hard drive is huge? Just curious.

Nathan...

It does not have a hard drive, just 4GB of internal memory but it does have an SD slot so you can expand on the memory assuming it acts like the 720 does.

FYI (today's useless piece of trivia...) down in Oz we get voice recognition on our 720s. Dat's cuz we speek proppa inglish. ;-)

It's not all bad NAers - we don't get MapShare or Traffic down under... :-(

Well good on ya mate (tried my best). I guess you speak better Queen's english than we do here in North America. The voice recognition probably works for Canadians with a few exceptions (Newfoundland, I love my newfie friends but if you ever spend sometime in the fishing villages you will know what I mean).

Nathan...

I would hope that someone will come up with the files or a firmware crack to enable voice recognition on the North American models. Obviously our system is built for voice recognition, and it has just been disabled. I do not think voice recognition would really be all that useful, but I would like to play with it and see. :)

It had one of the first Canon digital Rebels which has detatchable lenses. It had a lot of features that were possible, but disabled so as not to compete with the more expensive Canon cameras. That is because they all use the same processor. A firmwire crack came along that re-enabled most of those features and I have been using it for years without any problems. Of course these things are best to try once the warranty is expired.

Well good on ya mate (tried my best). I guess you speak better Queen's english than we do here in North America. The voice recognition probably works for Canadians with a few exceptions (Newfoundland, I love my newfie friends but if you ever spend sometime in the fishing villages you will know what I mean).

Nathan...

i guess they will run in a similar problem with the french since in quebec we are far from speaking the same way as in france

garmin unit have both voice, canadian french and europeen french... but the tomtom only have europeen french voice

Has anyone been able to work with a full set of the European files to try to make voice recognition work on the
American models?

Ask a Question