voice control

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom Go 740
was wondering if anyone could help on this.....and sorry if this has been asked in here before......I have a TT740 with the latest maps 8.50 and app 8.371.......I somehow have lost the ability to use the voice control on my TT.....I have all the speech files that are required but nowhere in the preferences can i activate my voice control.....the icon is greyed out......if anyone could help with this it would sure be appreciated.

The first thought would be to reset the unit by holding the power button for about 20 seconds.

If that doesn't work, try to restore to factory defaults. You'll lose all custom settings but it is worth a shot.

Before trying any of the above, go through the process manually of navigating to a destination. Make sure you have a computer voice selected prior to doing so.........

Do people actually use the voice thangy ?

I must be at the other end of the line.....cause
i've always considered that feature a joke.

I tend to agree in most cases. The novelty wears off after a bit. But some newer LIVE models (in Europe, anyway) have about 100 voice commands, if I remember correctly.

And with more and more jurisdictions going to 'hands free' legislation, the VR is a viable option in some cases.

the usa 740 also has the expanded voice command list. however you need to tap the screen to activate it which defeats its purpose. its only really useful with the remote accessory in my opinion so you dont have to tap the screen.

Voice command list

Could you please give more detail how to get the vcice command list?

I've never found voice commands a toy when using a cellphone or computer. Rather, they're a speedy enhancement and much-worthile safety aid. For those with impaired or no vision, they are surely a must. And with most GPS with relatively small screens, they're a great help for the rest of us as well.

TIA.

Ask a Question