US Lifetime Maps Voucher Code/

TomTom Model(s)
XL335
Evening all,

I recently bought a TomTom XL 335 whilst on holiday in Florida last month- it turns out it was as much to buy a brand new one as it was to rent one with the hire car!

The model I purchaced had lifetime US and Canada maps, however when I enter the code in the UK its invalid- regardless of whether I change my location to the US or the UK. Its not really a big deal becasue the device does download the map updates and modifications as advertised, but my main problem with them is----

Why does it really matter what country you input the code just so long as you have the code?

Because the Lifetime map opportunity is only for North American models/maps, not European.

You'd have to ask the marketing people in the Netherlands why that is so.

In the same vein, a few years ago, only Europeans were offered a map subscription update service while North Americans were 'stuck' paying about $90-$100 for ONE map update. Took over a year before subscriptions found their way to NA shores.......

Its not really a big deal becasue the device does download the map updates and modifications as advertised

It *is* a big deal really, because the updates and modifications you can download (a system called "MapShare") are only minor changes like blocked roads, turn restrictions and changed speed limits.
That system cannot send you major changes like new roads or anything else that requires the actual shape of the map to change. For that you need a whole new map.

Because the Lifetime map opportunity is only for North American models/maps, not European.
Yes, but it's his US/Can/Mex map that he's going to be updating. Why should TomTom care whether he's in the US or Europe when he performs the update? It could be one of us, traveling there, attempting to update our recently purchased unit.

Ask a Question