Upgrading to Larger SD Card... How?

I've done a backup of existing card, now what?

Do I just put the new blank card in the unit, connect it to the docking station, turn it on and do a restore? If so, how does the unit (510), initially load up if there is nothing on the new card?

Thanks.

Yes, that's exactly what you do. When you connect the TT you may have to click on 'change device' on one of the top menus, but it will detect the TT. Then you just restore to it.

I don't think it has to be formatted. I used one from a canon digital camera and just erased its contents manually. TT claims there's a size limit, but I haven't heard from anyone about a specific size NOT working.

SD Card size

I haven't heard of size limit.... the only thing I've heard and noticed don't use up all the space on any card! you need to have spare space on the card or it will run slow and at times freeze up! Leave a good 1MB to 2 MB of space.

Yeah, I agree. I think that once the internal RAM is used up it then goes to use the free space on the SD card. Good to have extra space.

I would like to get a new card for the new maps. It's clear to me that it would have to be a 2GB card, but what about the speed of the card, any recommendations? Thanks.

I don't think it's been proven that a faster card performs better. I read a thread over at yournav where a member tested 2 cards, one standard and one 150x without noticing an improvement. I think you're safe getting any card you want.

size limit sd card

I haven't heard of size limit.... the only thing I've heard and noticed don't use up all the space on any card! you need to have spare space on the card or it will run slow and at times freeze up! Leave a good 1MB to 2 MB of space.

Hi folks,

The size limit for the ttg 710, 910 is 4 GB

Grtz,

Special_k

Correction were talking of card limit which has never been written up what the limit is foe a TomTom .The 910 does not have an SD Card slot but has a 20GB hd. SD Cards are sold in various siszes depending what you need and want to put in them. The largest Sd Cards available in the market but havent seen them yet is a 4GB Card. It has been written that the choise of a fast card would be reccomended.

George

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question