Help needed upgrading 730

TomTom Model(s)
One
I need help. I spent 2 hours last night trying to update the maps on the new 730 with no luck. I downloaded the latest version of HOME and maps and attempted to install it directly onto the 730. Install completed but after reboot it could not find any maps. I didn't have a SD card in at the time so I figured it might have run out of space. I moved the North America folder over to the SD card afterwards but still no go. Then things got weird as connecting and reconnecting the 730 to my desktop kept making my computer crash - blue screen of death on Windows 7. Also attempted to download the clearflash tool and ran that. Ran it about 6 times, using combination of internal memory and SD card. Nothing worked and 730 was not usable. Thank god I made a back. I restored and unit is now working again. So before I make another attempt tonight, what is the proper upgrade procedure.

1. We I connect the 730, it always first asks to connect to internal memory or SD card. I assume I should select SD card. Should I copy over the maps in this manner using HOME.

2. Should I install updates or voices to internal memory or SD card? 730 appears to only have 1 installed. The rest are still on CD.

3. What's the best combination of use of the SD card? In other words, what should I run internal and what from the card.

4. Before I do anything, should I reformat the SD card.

Any help be greatly appreciated, don't want to spend another 2 hours trying to update this again.

thanks

1. We I connect the 730, it always first asks to connect to internal memory or SD card. I assume I should select SD card. Should I copy over the maps in this manner using HOME.

You can also use Explorer to move the current map over to the sdhc card and then select the card when you want to update to the newest map. Make sure you have at least a 4-gig sdhc card as you gain nothing much in terms of space by just having a 2-gig sdhc card

2. Should I install updates or voices to internal memory or SD card? 730 appears to only have 1 installed. The rest are still on CD.

I run my 720 with the map on a sdhc card and everything else on internal. You can install more voices (computer and recorded) using Home's Add Voices option.

3. What's the best combination of use of the SD card? In other words, what should I run internal and what from the card.

See above

4. Before I do anything, should I reformat the SD card

Shouldn't be necessary. As a rule, the sdhc cards are already formatted (fat32) when they come out of the package.

Ask a Question