Upgrading from 510 to 720. Can I keep my addresses?

Xaa

Hi,

Our 510 gave up the ghost so TomTom is sending us a 720 as a replacement. Is there a way to maintain the saved addresses we have on the 510?

Also, is there anything else I should know? What are the main differences/advantages of the 720?

Thanks for your help!

Bill

You can salvage items you have saved in backups and/or "Downloaded to Computer" through Home. If it is only on the device, it is gone (unless you can connect it and have your computer see the files on it).

The 720 has a slightly larger and slightly less bright screen, and the 20 series seem to have a lot shorter battery life than the 10 series. You can use a much larger SD card (SDHC - possibly up to 8 GB).

You will be able to upgrade to new maps (it may come with newer maps depending on what you had installed on your 510) and the new applications. TomTom has dead-ended older units like the 10 series.

It has 3 new featurs - Voice recognition, lane guidance, and IQ routing.

You should read further in the forum to see waht you are getting (into).

Thanks!. I do have the stuff backed up, how do I get the right things and not the wrong things onto the 720?

What exactly is IQ Routing?

I appreciate your help!

Funny, I'm currently in the process of upgrading from a ONE 3rd to a 720 (although my ONE is still functioning).

If by "addresses" you mean Favorites, they're stored in a file called MapSettings.cfg, which should be located in the main map folder (eg. USA_and_CANADA). Copying this into your new unit should restore them, assuming the new map covers the same geographic region.

OTOH, if you're referring to POIs, any which were obtained from TomTom can be restored through the Home app. However, custom POI files will need to be re-installed manually.

If you have more questions, I'll answer what I can.

R?

I do mean favorites. The addresses we saved, not the POI's. Should be the same geographic region so that will be a big time saver. How about the Mr. T voice I bought? Will that still be available and work?

it should be in your backup under voices. It may show up under you Plus Services when you switch your TomTom account (if you purchased it from them through Home). If so, it should let you re-download it.

Otherwise, you should be able to cut-and-paste it from "Voices" on your backup to "Voices" on you new unit (Unless it is copy protected - then try to get TomTom Support to do it)..

I do mean favorites. The addresses we saved, not the POI's. Should be the same geographic region so that will be a big time saver. How about the Mr. T voice I bought? Will that still be available and work?

Be aware that while the file mentioned is correct (MapSettings.cfg), some have noticed that copying from a backup map folder which differs from a new map folder do sometimes experience some issues. In your case, if your previous map in the 510 was a USA&Canada map folder, you'll be seeing on the 720 a North_America map folder. The two maps are not the same in that the NA is more detailed.

When you get the 720, make sure you make a complete backup of your unit's contents using Explorer, not Home. Make sure hidden files/folders are showing as are extensions for known file types.

Now, use Explorer to copy the Mapsettings.cfg file from the backup to the NA map folder.

If you experience no apparent issues, fine.

If, however, you do (misplaced favourites perhaps), simply use Explorer to delete the file. Don't worry, whenever TT is started, if it doesn't see a MapSettings file, it recreates it.

Ask a Question