Upgraded TT720 to v8.x

Thanks! I'm a techie-geek, but I'm still wondering why people couldn't just look at the speedometer, :p

The speed limit works for the NZ maps. It is actually suprisingly useful - not for warning when you are going too fast - but more the question of what is the speed limit here? - because the sign went past 2 minutes ago :) .

Newbe needs help
Downloaded updates yesterday to my new TT720 and now get a error.

You cannot use this map on this device : Australia

Does anyone know how to fix this error?
:confused:

Last edited:
Newbe needs help
Downloaded updates yesterday to my new TT720 and now get a error.

You cannot use this map on this device : Australia

Does anyone know how to fix this error?
:confused:

I have read somewhere that with 8.x there were issues with using Australian maps. Seems like some compatibility issue with the new update.
You can try downloading the "TomTom Clear Flash tool" and try it out, not sure if this would resolve the problem though.
Backup the TT before doing any updates.
http://www.tomtom.com/support/solution.php?GID=1&PID=1682&SID=0&CID=216&Language=4&FID=8333
Then try a Pin Reset.
Or probably go back to 7.45 if you have the backup.

Last edited:
upgrade vr help

I just upgraded to the 8.? version, lost vr, copied support-asr.dat to asr file on tom tom 720, what next it worked before the upgrade. Thanks Bobby

Working

Thanks for all the help. i found the problem to be a typo this may help someone else. it should be support_asr.dat not support-asr.dat Thanks all working again Bobby

Along with the new screen options with Navcore8, the TTHome program got an upgrade, too.

Of some surprise, under Operate My Go, the Itinerary Planning button is now lit and now works with TTHome version 2.3.1.92, a pleasant surprise indeed. It's never been available to me before.

I did have the disconnect problem

I'm new to this.. I've got a TOM TOM Go 720 -- the latest TTHome installed and I have a new Vista Premium computer... My TT is sitting here currently connected and I have no idea what to do about it other than take it back to my old computer and start all over again...

Help?!?!?!?

I did the upgrade to 8.x yesterday after taking a backup with both Home and Explorer. The following were the difference I noticed till now:
-I could edit the Speed of a road, a feature that I was longing to have. It is cool that the speed of a highway can be assigned to sections of a highway and manually sections can be removed or added (It is also a pain to do this with the map). After enabling this I could see the speed limit next to the current speed, which I corrected as I drove by.
-The display seems a bit crispier (glossy touch).
-There is the 'advanced lane guidance' in the menu which dosent work with 720 maps.
-The GPS bars are now Horizontal (I liked the vertical better).
-The compass keeps rotating around, seems different from previous(I liked the previous one). But I noticed that there is an option in the Status Bar Preferences to display the direction of travel (Maybe it was already there), this also displays some degree along with N,S,E,W.
-Bootup seem to be faster (the splash goes away quicker than before)

I did not experience the problems that I read in other blogs with the update, like 'slower re-routing'. I drove in the morning to test this and was working as before to me.
I did not have the 'disconnect' problem either (I read that ppl were having problems with disconnedtnig TomTom from Home), Tomtom disconnects on the first attempt from Tomtom Home.

Voice Recognition which was working in v7.45 (without support_asr.dat file) is no longer available in the menu.
-I copied the support_asr.dat file into the ASR folder in TT and did a pin reset. The Voice Recognition is back and is working.

POI seemed to be the same to me (I am using the TT720 POI), though I did not play with it.
I dont use traffic, so nothing there. Fuel Prices was there from 7.45.
I did not test the TTS, seems like that also has some improvements (read somewhere). I did not check if the Vocie Recognition is still there, I assume that it is.
Will keep adding to the list if I find more.
I've got the disconnect problem you mention here. did you read any solutions in those blogs? Can you point me in a general direction? Please!!

Status Bar

I did the upgrade to 8.x yesterday after taking a backup with both Home and Explorer. The following were the difference I noticed till now:
-I could edit the Speed of a road, a feature that I was longing to have. It is cool that the speed of a highway can be assigned to sections of a highway and manually sections can be removed or added (It is also a pain to do this with the map). After enabling this I could see the speed limit next to the current speed, which I corrected as I drove by.
-The display seems a bit crispier (glossy touch).
-There is the 'advanced lane guidance' in the menu which dosent work with 720 maps.
-The GPS bars are now Horizontal (I liked the vertical better).
-The compass keeps rotating around, seems different from previous(I liked the previous one). But I noticed that there is an option in the Status Bar Preferences to display the direction of travel (Maybe it was already there), this also displays some degree along with N,S,E,W.
-Bootup seem to be faster (the splash goes away quicker than before)

I did not experience the problems that I read in other blogs with the update, like 'slower re-routing'. I drove in the morning to test this and was working as before to me.
I did not have the 'disconnect' problem either (I read that ppl were having problems with disconnedtnig TomTom from Home), Tomtom disconnects on the first attempt from Tomtom Home.

Voice Recognition which was working in v7.45 (without support_asr.dat file) is no longer available in the menu.
-I copied the support_asr.dat file into the ASR folder in TT and did a pin reset. The Voice Recognition is back and is working.

POI seemed to be the same to me (I am using the TT720 POI), though I did not play with it.
I dont use traffic, so nothing there. Fuel Prices was there from 7.45.
I did not test the TTS, seems like that also has some improvements (read somewhere). I did not check if the Vocie Recognition is still there, I assume that it is.
Will keep adding to the list if I find more.

Since my 815.2019 upgrage I have noticed that the 'next turn' no longer appears at the bottom of the status bar, it is now showing at the top center of the screen, has anybody else noticed this? :confused:

Last edited:
New Version 830 voice recognition?

just upgraded to 830 and followed intruction from other thread but seems voice recog is still not working just bought this tt 720 yesterday...anyone having problems too..with new maps and upgrade...please help!

Ask a Question