Upgraded map and lost Samantha

TomTom Model(s)
XL
Device is a TomTom XL, purchased late 2008 in Australia. The barcode sticker has long since peeled off so I cannot be more specific.

I got the email yesterday (2012-03-02) from (e-mail address removed) about an update to the map of Australia so I fired up TomTom HOME. It first updated the HOME software first to 2.8.3.2499, then the map to Version 885.4022.

After that, Samantha and Tom (the only English speaking computer voices on offer) are no longer offered in Change Preferences/Change Voice. There are still files in \VocalizerTTS named after Samantha and Tom.

I deleted the \VocalizerTTS folder then re-installing Samantha using HOME. The files in \VocalizerTTS and a file named samantha-V5.tlv in \voices appeared.
But, it made no difference: Samantha is no longer offered in Change Preferences/Change Voice.

Given that we rely on Samantha (but would settle for Tom if only he came back) to read street names, this is a big step backwards.

Any ideas why Samantha is not on the menu even though the files are there?

We've had this issue reported by other Aussies as well. Check to see whether there is a text file called support_asr.dat in the asr folder with nothing but a 1 in it, no quotes, spaces or anything else.

What application is on your unit?

Also, try this.....

Plan a trip to an address and make sure Australia is selected in the city screen as well as an Aussie city.

@dhn
Isn't the support_asr.dat only for recognition (speech to text)? I doubt that the XL supported that.

Ask a Question