Updating old maps vs buying a new map

Was having a few emails between the person I bought my TomTom from as it was sold to me as having fully up to date maps.

Which is 830

the maps on the device are 7.something and don';t have the lane assist function.

He expressed supprise as when he bought it, he thought it came with 12 months free map updates, and when docked onto TomTom Home he's accepted all the free updates that have been offered.

He felt this means the maps were being updates, even though they still show an old revision and when you actually dock the TomTom it says there are more up to date maps and the ones on the unit at "6 quarters old"

Bit confused, either maps get updated or they dont?

Maps can get updated (through Home) but it's an obvious activity when it happens in that a new map would have to be offered as available by a notification in Home when the user chooses to Update My Unit and the user would have to accept the download and installation.

Tap the satellite bars on the unit to see the application version installed. Tap the version number to see the map installed and its version.

The current application is 8.351 and the latest map is 830.

In theory, the original owner could have gotten map updates which are still sitting in compressed form on his computer but never installed. In theory.

The person you bought the TT from also may be confusing MapShare updates (which do continue free for a year) and actual upgraded maps.

Ask a Question