trun arrow on freeway

I am new to gps

when driving on the freeway the unit keeps telling me to stay left at lots of the exits
i don't what to know how far it is to the next exit to stay on the freeway for the next 20 exits.
i want to know how far it is to my exit

thanks

In the bottom left on the status bar, it'll show how many miles (or kilometers) to your next turn.

In the bottom left on the status bar, it'll show how many miles (or kilometers) to your next turn.
I dunno about that. My 720 does exactly the same thing, and I have NEVER been able to configure my 720 to shut up about the "keep left" business. These are caused by any existing exit-only lanes on a freeway. Mine consistently provides distance to the exit lane it wants me to avoid, not the distance to my next turn.

There's a configuration option whose name I can't recall just now that would appear to shut this feature off, but it never has ... not from 7.221 to the current 8.351 Navcore.

You are correct. I wasn't precise enough in my explanation (what else is new ... :confused: ). Better to have said the distance to EITHER the next turn OR 'avoidance' instruction.

I keep hoping that ONE of these days, TomTom will make what appears to be the right config option work. As I recall, we had a thread on this once before, and nobody could come up with a workaround.

if the cause of the problem is "existiing exit only lanes".... could turning off Advanced lane guidance help?

I think that was introduced around the same time that the problem appeared.

if the cause of the problem is "existiing exit only lanes".... could turning off Advanced lane guidance help?

I think that was introduced around the same time that the problem appeared.
No - this won't help a bit. The problem has been around for years - long before ALG was introduced. Dates back to at LEAST the 7.221 firmware on my old GO 720.

See this thread:

https://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/19604-distance-next-exit-only-lane.html

and give us a hand by bugging tech support mercilessly, OK?

My unit doesnt have ALG and I deal with this issue all of the time. But MAIN problem with it, is its WRONG. All of the time. If my TT tells me to stay left, I go right and if it says stay right I go left.

Hatem Bridge in Havre de Grace, MD. on route 40 Pulaski Hwy. It tells me to stay right when you need to merge left. Once again in Pulaski Hwy in North East MD, it does the same thing but the opposite way. In Baltimore City its a nightmare....

Its one thing to be annoying with obvious avoidances, its another to try to kill me several times a day...

I just ignore it most of the time. I have the volume up just loud enough to get my attention but then I just look at the pictures...

On the latest applications, the app will show you the distance to the next exit only lane on the bottom.

But I noticed that when you first enter the road, it actually speaks the entire duration that you stay on it, ignoring exit-only lanes. If you listen for it, you'll know how many miles to remain.

It just doesn't show on the screen.

On the latest applications...
Aargh... and no hope for Navcore 9 on the 720/730/920/930 units. Well, at least someone is getting the benefit of the improvement!

It's annoying when the unit comes on just to tell me to "stay straight" but at least the bonus with the Homer Simpson voice..."in 100 meters, stay straight....can I get a thank you????"

:)

Could this be the "Read aloud highway lane instructions" under voice preferences? I am not sure I don't know if that is what he is talking about or not. I have a TT 740. Just a thought

Last edited:

Ask a Question