Transferring favorites from one XL340S to another XL340S

TomTom Model(s)
XL340 TM
My husband has an XL340S and we just bought another one for me. I want to place a copy of his favorites onto my gps. Just want to confirm what I think I learned about the favorites from browsing the forum. I believe I need to backup each gps into separate folders using Explorer rather than TomTom Home, then should replace my unpopulated mapsettings.cfg with his populated mapsettings.cfg file. Do I have this right?

I read that I should register the new gps under a different email address, so will remember to do that, but I do have a question about the map update. Does the mapsettings.cfg file have to be restored after each map update, or does it stay intact during the update process?

Another question -- is the TomTom Home software able to support our two devices on the same desktop computer? (I do realize I should NOT connect them both at the same time!)

Thanks for steering me in the right direction!

My husband has an XL340S and we just bought another one for me. I want to place a copy of his favorites onto my gps. Just want to confirm what I think I learned about the favorites from browsing the forum. I believe I need to backup each gps into separate folders using Explorer rather than TomTom Home, then should replace my unpopulated mapsettings.cfg with his populated mapsettings.cfg file. Do I have this right?
Yes, that's correct. And kudos to you for making a backup with Windows Explorer rather than HOME.

I read that I should register the new gps under a different email address, so will remember to do that, but I do have a question about the map update. Does the mapsettings.cfg file have to be restored after each map update, or does it stay intact during the update process?
Using HOME 2.7 finally protects the "mapsettings.cfg" file. At least when I updated my map last week I didn't have to replace or restore it from my backups.

Another question -- is the TomTom Home software able to support our two devices on the same desktop computer? (I do realize I should NOT connect them both at the same time)
Yes, just be sure to use a different email address for the second device. Doesn't even have to be a legit address, but one in the usual format... ie (e-mail address removed) or similar.

Welcome to TomTomForums. :)

Does the mapsettings.cfg file have to be restored after each map update, or does it stay intact during the update process?
That will depend upon whether or not you've updated your firmware. The 340S originally shipped with firmware 8.410 or 8.411. With that firmware, Home always wiped the mapsettings.cfg file with a new map update. Your unit can (and probably should) be updated to version 9.056. 9.XXX versions should not be subject to having the mapsettings.cfg file wiped during map updates.

That will depend upon whether or not you've updated your firmware. The 340S originally shipped with firmware 8.410 or 8.411. With that firmware, Home always wiped the mapsettings.cfg file with a new map update. Your unit can (and probably should) be updated to version 9.056. 9.XXX versions should not be subject to having the mapsettings.cfg file wiped during map updates.
Thanks for that Canderson. I was wrongly giving credit to HOME. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Thanks, RickF and CAnderson. I've checked my husband's firmware version, and it's 9.056, so that one's OK. And, now that I've learned how to do that, I'll check out the newer gps and be sure to update it if necessary. Tomorrow is when I'll be doing all the updates for the new SL340S. Hopefully, I've done enough homework to avoid bothering you folks again, but I'll be back if I run into trouble. :)

Ask a Question