Traffic is Hit or Miss

TomTom Model(s)
GO LIVE 1535M and XXL-540TM
My RDS/TMC Traffic works fine... in that it knows there are incidents and delays... and factors those into my route... however... the thing tells me that "there are no faster routes"... when clearly I know there is... and when I start going the faster way, it recalculates correctly... but I have to initiate that route by taking it before it adjusts... and low and behold, it shaves 10 minutes off my route.

I don't know what to do... I feel that it should be determining this route for me automatically... if I didn't know the area I was in I would be stuck in traffic for 10 mins or longer.

Sometimes if I hit "Minimize Delays" it will do that just fine... but again, I am initiating that change and I shouldn't have to.

Does anyone else have this issue with RDS or Bluetooth Data? Did you correct it? How?

I just purchased the RDS-TMC from the TomTom website today, as they are selling it for about $40 less than Best Buy right now.

Watching the video demo on TomTom's website, it appears altering your route is not automatic. Once I get my antenna set up and run into traffic, I'll let you know how my TomTom responds.

My RDS/TMC Traffic works fine... in that it knows there are incidents and delays... and factors those into my route... however... the thing tells me that "there are no faster routes"... when clearly I know there is... and when I start going the faster way, it recalculates correctly... but I have to initiate that route by taking it before it adjusts... and low and behold, it shaves 10 minutes off my route.

I don't know what to do... I feel that it should be determining this route for me automatically... if I didn't know the area I was in I would be stuck in traffic for 10 mins or longer.

Sometimes if I hit "Minimize Delays" it will do that just fine... but again, I am initiating that change and I shouldn't have to.

Does anyone else have this issue with RDS or Bluetooth Data? Did you correct it? How?

I've had the receiver installed for the past week and have run in traffic delays twice. The first time was a two minute delay where I was told there were no faster routes, which I agree with; the second time was an 18 minute delay and I was automatically re-routed to the fastest route.

To answer your question, here's how to automatically re-route around delays:

1. Connect your TomTom to the RDS-TMC receiver

2. Arrow to "Main Menu 3"

3. Press "TomTom Traffic"

4. Arrow to, then press "Change Traffic Preferences"

5. Press "Done" on the first page; you are now shown the "Replaning Preferences" page.

6. Change your Replaning Preference from "ask me if I want that route" to "always switch to that route"

7. Press "Done" then select whether you want to limit your traffic update time intervals or not.

8. Press "Done" then you're done :)

From this point your TomTom should automatically re-route if it feels the delay will be longer than the secondary route.

OK that makes sense... "if it feels the delay will be longer than the secondary route"

I figured that it would route around traffic period... now it is clear.

I figured that it would route around traffic period... now it is clear.

I would have thought so too; after all why even buy a traffic receiver if you're not going to use it to follow the fastest route :confused:

I guess TomTom must feel most people just want to automatically know about the delay and not necessarily want to route around it.

They should at least give you the option... if you tell it to "Avoid All Delays" - it takes you clear to hell and back, like 3 hours out of the way in my area.

I find "minmizing delays with fastest route" does a good job... but again, it's a manual selection.

They should at least give you the option... if you tell it to "Avoid All Delays" - it takes you clear to hell and back, like 3 hours out of the way in my area.

I find "minmizing delays with fastest route" does a good job... but again, it's a manual selection.

I haven't had any major problems with re-routing. The one time my unit did automatically re-route it used the second fastest (and closest to my main route) route.

In my case, the secondary route ran parallel to the primary route along an almost identical path, just about two miles apart; the main difference between the two different routes is the primary is a four lane Interstate and the secondary route is a three (sometimes two) lane highway that turns into a regular city street about 1/4 of the way before I reach my destination which adds about 10-15 minutes to the drive because of the lower speed limit and stop lights. If the delay reported by TomTom Traffic had been closer to 10 minutes rather than 18, I'm assuming it would not have bothered to re-route me.

I'm guessing in you're case, there are no alternative routes that have close to the same amount of lanes or speed, therefore your TomTom does not re-route because it assumes driving on a road with fewer lanes or a lower speed limit will delay you even more.

If that's not the case, you can either hope this gets corrected in a future map update or make a map correction by marking the general spot where you should be re-routed starts and make an "other" comment explaining there is an alternative route that can be faster; giving street names if possible. Using the "other" option on map corrections is tedious, but should help in getting your routing problem resolved faster.

Logic tells me because you're not in New York City or Los Angeles, that map corrections aren't reported or utilized as frequently; however, Portland's metro area is only about 1/2 million people smaller than Minneapolis/St. Paul's, and I'm getting good traffic routing (so far), so I assume map changes reported by your local municipalities would be at about the same rate as mine.

Having said that, my actual hometown south of Minneapolis has had a round-a-bout in use for at least two years. Even after reporting it as a map share correction on map 7.10, map 8.25 still doesn't show it.

Tele-Atlas, as well as any other map maker, is dependent on correction reporting by the municipalities themselves. If the municipality builds, widens, or changes the speed limit on a road and doesn't report it to the map maker, the only way it will change is through a user reported map correction. God only knows how long it takes a rarely reported map correction not made by a municipality to make it on an official map release :rolleyes:

Thanks for the in-depth analysis... making more sense.

I am just expecting too much from this system.

The route I take to avoid traffic (which it eventually will route me on) is a 2 lane road through a small mountain pass and then to a 4 lane rural hwy... so I can see the "logic" behind keeping me on side roads that are more parallel to my original route.

I just purchased the RDS-TMC from the TomTom website today, as they are selling it for about $40 less than Best Buy right now.

Watching the video demo on TomTom's website, it appears altering your route is not automatic. Once I get my antenna set up and run into traffic, I'll let you know how my TomTom responds.

For those that are interested.

I ran into this issue too. Seriously when can you get a product direct from the manufacture CHEAPER then a retail store? Should be rarely unless you know people.

Regardless I went to Best Buy and saw they wanted 99 dollars for it. I talk to the sales guy there and asked if they could priced match. He said they couldnt do that (price match via the internet). So I asked to talk to a manager, I explained to the manager that you can get a this product directly from TomTom 40 dollars cheaper with free shipping and was curious why Best Buy felt they could rip off there customers. Hehe I even went so far to ask if TomTom knew they were over charging for their products (I really dont know the circumstances)...

Anyway with a little haggling they knocked 40 bucks off. Might not be worth your guys time, but I was just in one of those moods that day... :)

Ask a Question