Totom start flashing red cross

" What are the file sizes of the ttsystem and system files on your device? If they copied correctly, should be about 4.2MB and 1.0MB"........yes 4.2 & 1.0

" Whatever you do, let's first make sure that you can find, in the backup you made earlier, a folder called UK&ROI or Western_Europe or similar that contains your map files. You'll know it because it will contain files such as cline.dat, cname.dat and cnode.dat"....All there

So I take it next thing to try is full format & reload

You never did say what the name of that folder was (UK&ROI or WesternEurope or whatever). Again, be SURE that folder is on your PC before we start the process. Surviving this depends upon it.

Yes, the next step is to format and reload everything.

I don't know what OS you are presently using on your PC, but the next step is to format your device.
I'll assume it's some common version of Windows.

Connect your device to your PC. If Home wakes up, close Home.

Select it, right click on it, and choose "Format"
Use FAT32 (probably the default)
Use 16KB blocks (probably the default)
UNCHECK the "Quick Format" box. You want a full format of your device.
Click "Start"

Once the device is formatted, disconnect it for a few moments and reconnect it. This should cause Home to appear.
If there's going to be any joy here, Home should immediately ask to load firmware to your device. If it does, let it do so.
Once you have that step complete, get back to me and we'll get the copy of your maps reloaded manually.

Sorry I haven't been back on since end of July busy with work and holiday

UK&ROI is the folder that contains those files

I have formatted device

When I disconnect it wait and reconnect home only offers to install maps/gps fix/postcodes etc ......no firmware/applications

Edit I have loaded application saved on pc.....still flashing red cross when I disconnect it

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't been back on since end of July busy with work and holiday

UK&ROI is the folder that contains those files

I have formatted device

When I disconnect it wait and reconnect home only offers to install maps/gps fix/postcodes etc ......no firmware/applications

Edit I have loaded application saved on pc.....still flashing red cross when I disconnect it
When you say "home only offers to install..."
I'm not sure we're on the same page. We're now talking about 'updating' the device, not installing maps, etc, which Home would never volunteer.
You need to work with "Update my GO" now, not "Manage my GO" (we'll get to that if we can get the former working!)

On the update my start it only offers maps/quickgpsfix/postcodes.......no firmware/applications I had to install that form my pc

On the update my start it only offers maps/quickgpsfix/postcodes.......no firmware/applications I had to install that form my pc
After formatting, and BEFORE you did anything else, did Home offer to install firmware for you in the "Update" option?

That's not good. If Home can't find the system software on your device, it should be attempting to deal with that immediately when you get connected. Wish I had an explanation for this.

So is there no other way to load the firmware on to it
No, the only two methods are for Home to volunteer it or to add it manually.
Having added manually and taken whatever maps etc updates that Home offers, I assume you're still in the same bad place?

Ask a Question