TomTom XXL IQ Routes after map update

Hey,

Basically. I have received my TomTom XXL sat nav today. It is the Europe version and I presume it came with a map called Western and Central Europe 2GB. Now, after I have updated, the map is different and I have to choose from four different regions in order to select the map I want (which is inconvienient as Poland and UK are not on the same map selection). I wonder if there is any way of bringing back the map version I had before the update, or a way of merging Central and Western Europe maps (and make it fit in the 2GB provided)?

Regards,

Unfortunately you're another victim of what TomTom calls their "Improved" mapping.
the full Western and Central Europe map is now larger than 2GB so if you don't have a model with an SD card slot for expansion, you are stuck with the "zoned" maps

If you made a full backup before you updated (as recommended), then it is easy to return to the old map, by restoring the backup.

If not, you will have to call customer services and ask that they assign the old map to you (this won't be easy!) or the simplest solution would be to send the one you've bought back as "unfit for purpose".
You would then have to decide whether to get another XL and simply not update it, or go for another TomTom model or a different brand entirely.

Welcome to TTF.

If you made a backup (hopefully Explorer, not Home), prior to the map update, you can restore your previous complete map.

If you can get Northern (with UK) or Western (with UK) and Central (with Poland) into 2 gb, then you can accomplish your goal.

Otherwise, afraid not

I do have about 400mb left on it, and UK & ROI is about 220mb, but TomTom Home doesnt give me an option to select that region by itself.

Is there no way to restore a backup from a different device onto my own?

edit: Northern and Central are too big to fit together. Same goes for Western.

Afraid not, maps are locked to a single device.

You mentioned calling customer service. Could you elaborate? Has anyone succeded in this? I mean hading both on at the same time is pretty important to me.

I have found a v845 version backed up fom a different device. Is there really no way to make it work?

You mentioned calling customer service. Could you elaborate? Has anyone succeded in this?

UK Support number is:

0845 161 0009

Monday - Friday: 9am-6.30pm UK time, in the summer as well as the winter (website says GMT, but this is not what they mean)
(every first Wednesday of the month: 10am-6.30pm?)

Customer Services are not usually very helpful about restoring old maps, bit if you are polite but persistent you may succeed.

I'm assuming you didn't make any sort of backup?

If not, as I said, the easiest way to get what you want is to send it back and get another one (and don't update it), or a different model that CAN take the whole map.

I have found a v845 version backed up fom a different device. Is there really no way to make it work?

TomTom go to great lengths to combat map piracy, which is basically what you are (unwittingly) suggesting. As I said, they create locking codes to stop you copying maps from one device to another.

I managed to sort it out in the end :D.

Proof:
tomtomc.jpg

Thanks for help.

Regards,

You don't mean you pirated them I hope.
That would be theft, pure and simple.

Ask a Question