TomTom XL

Hi Everyone,

first of all i need to say that i am a total starter at this stuff
I just purchased a tomtom xl and would like to install some extra maps ie. Alps_plus_major_roads_of_WE_810_1907

can you tell me what do i need to do?

Thanks very much

roooooooossster

Goto tomtom.com and create an account (email address + password).

Assuuming you've installed TomTom home software that came with the unit, connect the unit to the computer, start TT Home. Use Home's menu option for Latest Map guarantee. Download and install what's offered. Backup your unit's contents using Explorer, not Home. Make sure hidden files/folders are showing.

Now, in TTHome, click on Maps/Voices and see what other Maps are available for purchase for your unit. Select the one you want and go through the purchase process in Home. Download and install. I suspect that if your model has a card slot, you may need to load any additional maps purchased onto a sd card because of space limitations in internal memory. Also, be aware that the unit's firmware must ALSO reside on the sd card along with the map.

How do you do this? Copy everything from internal onto the sd card except the map folder you have. Now, install the newly purchased map and install on the sd card using Home.

Make sure you've BACKED UP the unit's contents, as I said above, before doing any of this.

Ask a Question